Leotax needs rangefinder repair, Who in UK?

Yes it does not click into position
so it is like yours
I do not really mind it is just a film reminder thingy. Of course if it clicked into position instead of being half way like in the photo i would have understood what it was and not ask a silly question!
It's a pretty easy fix. You need a tool to remove the centre of the winding lever, and a tiny ball-bearing to go into the detent. I bought a bag of them for about a tenner and solved the problem myself because it was stressing me out!

It's a pretty easy fix. You need a tool to remove the centre of the winding lever, and a tiny ball-bearing to go into the detent. I bought a bag of them for about a tenner and solved the problem myself because it was stressing me out!
I just got an Elite myself, same problem. Somebody has removed the wind lever (typical scratch) and the ISO reminder is spinning freely. To remove the winding lever, center-screw is clock-wise or anti clock-wise?

I just got an Elite myself, same problem. Somebody has removed the wind lever (typical scratch) and the ISO reminder is spinning freely. To remove the winding lever, center-screw is clock-wise or anti clock-wise?
Centre screw is anti-clockwise. Putting the ball bearing in place is a pain in the ass, and you'll probably need some way to stop the wind lever undoing itself afterwards (I used a small amount of coloured nail varnish on the thread as it's easy to "crack" and/or dissolve/remove).

Word of warning: my wind lever seems to have a larger "dead zone" before the winding engages since I last took it off to put that ball bearing in place. I think it needs to be slightly pre-tensioned before you fit it back in place; I'm probably going to take it off again and explore a bit once I've finished the current roll.

Centre screw is anti-clockwise. Putting the ball bearing in place is a pain in the ass, and you'll probably need some way to stop the wind lever undoing itself afterwards (I used a small amount of coloured nail varnish on the thread as it's easy to "crack" and/or dissolve/remove).

Word of warning: my wind lever seems to have a larger "dead zone" before the winding engages since I last took it off to put that ball bearing in place. I think it needs to be slightly pre-tensioned before you fit it back in place; I'm probably going to take it off again and explore a bit once I've finished the current roll.
Thanks a lot for the information! In my case, the "dead-zone" started to extend when reaching the end of the film roll. I will look into this.

Just seen this request. I'm English but live in France. I'm working on a Leotax elite having finished the Leotax K. I just finished a major rebuild of a nicca type 5 with new shutter curtains and a complete strip down and CLA. I'm a perfectionist and was in horror as I saw the wind lever marked. Some people damage cameras and I had the Leotax K that someone had glued the speed dial on because they probably damaged the three grub screws..they were not even present and I tell you it was fun getting the dial off with damage. I've another nicca type 5 to rebuild which I will be selling when it's done. The ribbons in it were so brittle they broke into fragments when you touched them! Not sure about all this brexit crap and import duties but if anyone wants a camera serviced properly please get in touch. I've serviced many retinas like Chris Sherlock and he's given me lots of advise. Also done many Zeiss ikon and voightlander. If it's got a leaf shutter I can do it. Any barrack style rangefinder I do as well. I stay away from electronic cameras although I did rebuild a voighlander vf101

Not sure about all this brexit crap and import duties but if anyone wants a camera serviced properly please get in touch.
Sadly, Brexit has really made shipping stuff in and out of the country for repair economically infeasible; it's shit, to put it bluntly.

Do you mind if I pick your brain re. the wind lever on the Elite? I still haven't gotten around to removing it again to figure out what's going on, but if you have any idea what would cause that dead zone I mentioned in my last post, I'd be grateful to hear it. I still assume the spring under the lever needs to be wound up more, as it's somewhat "limp" in returning to the original position, but I can't see any obvious way to add tension to it like that.

Back