Leotax LTM Leotax, Tower, Nicca or similar

Leotax M39 screw mount bodies
Some 50s lenses used 34.5 diameter filters. If 34 is a little loose, I’d suspect this was it.

Thanks for that info. I didn't know that size existed. I'll see if SRB UK can make a step-up ring.

The lens for anyone interested seems pretty decent. Decent central sharpness wide open. Very sharp centrally by f4 . Edges sharp by f5.6. Great contrast too. Handling is good, smooth focus , click stop apertures. So other than a PITA filter size , a very nice small lens. No real idea why it might actually be useful. Time will tell if this GAS leak was worth it!

The Canon L1 is one of my favorites...if you get one with problems with the slow speeds I found that lubricating the large spool at the bottom [not the 2 tensioned spring spools for each curtain at one end of the camera] solved the problem when I thought I had un-repairable wear on the bottom spring/works of the camera. It did not occur to me that dried out bushings could slow the action of the large spool so there would not be enough acceleration of the the slow speed works to keep everything going. I am an amateur at this so trial and error led me to this "discovery". I was totally miffed. Most likely at some point I will disassemble to clean the part but slight lubrication worked wonders.[I used trumpet key oil....using a syringe...not much was needed too. I wonder how many others who also like the L1 have put it aside after encountering the same problem.

I have two Leotax DIV. One is now a parts camera and one bought here in the US apparently had suffered a "shock" sufficient to bend some internal parts without suffering outside apparent damage and it had holes in one curtain. Probably set aside after the damage for years. I dismantled, straightened some parts and replaced the curtains using original ribbon and laths...it is just beautiful. The Leotax F is just an awesome machine..with the early spring tension...1/20 second..and 1/1000 second with flash wiring it is very quiet and sounds like it is well tuned, particularly at 1/10 and 1/15 second...you know it is right when you hear some spring bounce in the gearing after the shutters have traveled...but be careful, the Leotax T is the same camera with 1/500 second...as nice but not the same as the 1/1000 F..the only difference I have found. When I tension the springs I start with B and not 1/500 and find that I wind up with less stressed vintage operation...like I say though I am an amateur using the video tube to check that everything is balanced and that the speeds are accurate. I use an Olympus and a Nikon with known accurate shutters for comparison...but I am not an expert at this stuff. The Leotax T [I sold my F model] was a joy to adjust with a spring restraining gears at the bottom making the finest adjustment possible and easy. Buy yourself a head fitting magnifying lens set with a loupe attached and LED illumination if you plan to do the least amount of work yourself..they are inexpensive but necessary.

I would not hesitate to buy one from a Japanese seller on eBay. In every case that I have done so, the camera was always better than described. And Canon rangefinders from Japan are exceptional bargains right now.

As a more general statement I would say that this has been my experience with any camera or lens I have purchased from Japanese sellers too. It seems to be a function of both of a tendency towards a high level of honesty which seems to be expected of sellers in that country plus the fact that Japanese buyers are notoriously picky about condition of items. So sellers over describe or to put it another way they under-promise and over-deliver. One can only wish that the rest of eBay were as good.

I do not repair cameras like you, but I admire your skill. I am general agreement with you however regarding your camera evaluations: The Leotax DIV is the most beautiful Leotax model I have seen. Unfortunately, finding one in working condition is not easy. The F's were very well made, a fully deveolped Leica III series copy really, and are fairly inexpensive for what they are, plus many working examples exist. I also enjoy using my K as it is a very practical Leotax, a Leica II copy, with the simplicity and reliability that offers by just nixing the slow speeds.

I also concur with your earlier comments about the Canon L1 (and L2, L3 as well), They are among the most practical Canon RF's for use, with whisper quiet shutters too - similar to the Leica M2 in many respects (but not equal - as much as I love vintage Japanese rangefinders, none quite equal the M2, M2, or IIIg in my view).

I have two Leotax DIV. One is now a parts camera and one bought here in the US apparently had suffered a "shock" sufficient to bend some internal parts without suffering outside apparent damage and it had holes in one curtain. Probably set aside after the damage for years. I dismantled, straightened some parts and replaced the curtains using original ribbon and laths...it is just beautiful. The Leotax F is just an awesome machine..with the early spring tension...1/20 second..and 1/1000 second with flash wiring it is very quiet and sounds like it is well tuned, particularly at 1/10 and 1/15 second...you know it is right when you hear some spring bounce in the gearing after the shutters have traveled...but be careful, the Leotax T is the same camera with 1/500 second...as nice but not the same as the 1/1000 F..the only difference I have found. When I tension the springs I start with B and not 1/500 and find that I wind up with less stressed vintage operation...like I say though I am an amateur using the video tube to check that everything is balanced and that the speeds are accurate. I use an Olympus and a Nikon with known accurate shutters for comparison...but I am not an expert at this stuff. The Leotax T [I sold my F model] was a joy to adjust with a spring restraining gears at the bottom making the finest adjustment possible and easy. Buy yourself a head fitting magnifying lens set with a loupe attached and LED illumination if you plan to do the least amount of work yourself..they are inexpensive but necessary.

As a more general statement I would say that this has been my experience with any camera or lens I have purchased from Japanese sellers too. It seems to be a function of both of a tendency towards a high level of honesty which seems to be expected of sellers in that country plus the fact that Japanese buyers are notoriously picky about condition of items. So sellers over describe or to put it another way they under-promise and over-deliver. One can only wish that the rest of eBay were as good.
Oh yes, I fully agree regarding the Japanese sellers. They are not perfect, but much better than the average eBay seller, and quite friendly to deal with overall. By the way, I can say the same for many of the European camera dealers that sell abroad.

Have had great experiences with Japanese sellers even those who weren't altogether honest. Bought a Canon 7sz whose seller claimed it had a working meter. When I got the camera the meter was as dead as a doornail. When I pointed this out to the seller he claimed the meter must have died during shipment!! Finally he made amends by refunding me $40.00 towards the purchase of a meter.

I want to buy a screw-mount Leica copy such as a Leotax, Nicca, Tower, Canon or similar, with or without a lens. I've tried a Wanted ad on here without success, so can anybody suggest a good source?
There are quite a few on eBay direct from Japanese sellers, but their English descriptions are nearly always vague and contradictory. For example, they might describe the condition as excellent then say that there are scratches, haze and fungus in the viewfinder etc. One seller always writes "This item is sold out everywhere in Japan and very hard to get it" which is obviously untrue. To their credit, Japanese sellers usually include very nice quality photos, so perhaps they are just trying to avoid the accusation of mis-describing their camera.
Any ideas or recommendations?

I've never had a problem with anything I've bought from Japanese sellers. Their descriptions, as you note, are very accurate. The headings "excellent" might be a little over the top but the descriptions and lot's of pictures give a true picture. Finally Ebay's seller protection policy covers you 100% if you're not happy - including return postage. Quit worrying, read the description, look at the photo and buy one. BTW why do you think a USA seller is more honest?

I have Canon LTM. Needs new curtains, but shutter works. This three modes, single V/RF window is more on the meh side than on handy.
Then I got Leotax with 1/1000. Dry curtains, shutter needs CLA.
And it is still taller and wider than Zorki.
Those are great DIY CLA cameras, it seems...

I eventually wanted Nicca, I hope it is same size with Leica III, finally paid for mint Nicca IIIa today, with new curtains and after CLA. Under 200$ including shipping.
From USA seller, service person.
Will see after two weeks or so.

Good deal! Niccas are tops.

Should be the same size, here is a Type 3 Nicca with a III and IIIa.

IMG_1998.md.jpg

IMG_2803.md.jpg

Isn't the Tower 35 of the same quality as the corresponding Nicca or are there documentations on major differences?

The Towers are rebadged Niccas, no differences.

There are early Nicca cameras that were badged "Peerless" for the American Peerless camera stores.

The rare Nicca type 5 can be found as the "Snider" for a chain of Australian camera shops.

And don't forget the last Yashica labeled Niccas when Yashica bought Nicca out in around 1959.

Back