Industar LTM LTM comparison: canon vs. industar-50 vs. jupiter-8

Industar M39 lenses

paulfish4570

Mentor
Local time
4:10 PM
images resized and in order in a lower post. sorry about the foul-up. all my fault.

bw400cn, walgreens processing/scanning; the i-50 and j-8 comparison shots were made within 5 minutes of each other; the canon shots were made a couple of days later when the spring sun already had changed. whatcha think?

Last edited:
Good job. Thank you for these, that industar is wicked sharp in the center. I'm curious about the year it was made? Thank you!

No rush, man. It's the first two digits of the serial number, I have one from '68 but no body for it yet. What's your general conclusions about the lenses?

:)

the j-8 and canon seem close on some of the color renditions; the i-50 has its own look in color; the j-8 is sharp in the middle and edges; so is the canon, but more so; the i-50 isn't as sharp to the edges.
all three are just different from one another. i do like the i-50 and canon best for people with black and white, such as bw400cn. i like the j-8 for black and white things, like rusty steel, if that makes any sense, with ilford xp2. the j-8 might be the contrastiest, with the canon a close second. the i-50 is way back in third on contrast.

Much appreciated. I know from other posts of yours that you have some trouble with your hands sometimes, I hope you're feeling good today. Thank you again for the tests.

:)

Shame all your PhotoBuffet pictures have vanished - it makes this thread kinda worthless for other interested readers.

This seems to be a common problem with PB - I use a few forums here and there and the number of threads that are rendered unusable by missing PB pictures is surprisingly high.
Is this because of a user problem or do PB only keep them on file for a short time...?

:confused:

i had resized the images. here they are again. canon first, j-8 second, i-50 third in each vertical sequence.

R1-1.jpg

R1-2.jpg

R1-3.jpg

R1-4.jpg

R1-5.jpg

R1-6.jpg

R1-13.jpg

R1-13.jpg

R1-15.jpg

i think i have very slight backfocusing issues with the two fsu lenses. need to try aluminum foil shims ...

Back