Carl Zeiss LTM LTM Sonnar 5.8cm 1.5

Carl Zeiss M39 lenses
Interesting thread.

On the SN2726863, the 5cm F1.5 in the Odd LTM Mount, I have "SN2726739".

picture.php

And it is most definitely Russian. The namering looks like it was polished down and painted over.

picture.php

picture.php

Note the "." for the aperture index instead of a black line on the Sonnar to the right.

And came in a white plastic case, unlike the Jupiter-3.

picture.php

The ZK did not even have a tap hole for the hidden set screw for the rear module. The 285 lens had both hidden set screws, rear module and namering.

Last edited:
are you talking about 27247xx ?
is it an alloy (light) or a brass and chrome (heavy mount) ?

for the 2726863 knurled one it's an high end artisanal production ;-) and the fonts of both the DOF and the distance scale are not traditionnal Zeiss but similar to mine
my knurled one is 2789989... far away in numbers

Yup, the 27247xx I mentioned is in fact 2724792! It is alloy I think. How much does your lens weigh?

You have my email address, send me an email and I will send you back some shots tomorrow.

Very excited to find my lens's twin brother!

On the knurled ones, I think these optical blocks were smuggled out of the factory and finished at home to sell on the black market. They must have brought quite some cash back in the days. I wish I had a knurled one as well, will have to keep eyes wide open I think, like: :eek:

:)

brian... what a strange logo on your white box... russian but which factory (need to have a clear picture to see that with ussrphoto.com ;-)

Next time I have the Nikon E3 with the Macro and SB-29, I will get some close-ups of the case. The ZK Sonnar is first rate, but required some new shims.

it would be very strange that 92 would be alloy and 93 chrome...

Not necessarily. I've seen it in grey painted Leicas in the Kaltenfest thread where IIIcK grey production had already started and still chrome cameras left the assembly lines.
Factory production rarely is linear. They may have introduced the alloy lenses but kept some brass mounts for special orders, for instance.

no pair... I made a mistake... I was not home, only reading my files, now I'm in front of the lenses and a kitchen balance...

I don't know where i got that number... 92

the real numbers are (All 5cm 1,5 T)

Heavy chrome 2724947 240gr LTM (the real chrome one)
Mixed metals 2726483 contax mount
Alloy knurled 2789989 145gr LTM (bizarre engraving)
Mixed alloy 2859321 140gr LTM (unfinished engraving)
Mixes alloy 2859393 140gr LTM (finished)

And 2714446 is a biogon LTM T (alloy)

sorry for the mistake...

any how we should organise a kind of register... may be on the zeiss user forum ?

Stephan

where did I mix the number (was it to late at night or am I getting dislexical ?)

Last edited:
No problem Stephan. Would have been nice.

LeicaTom is interested in CZJ Sonnar 50/1.5 serial numbers to create a war survivors register. You can find him through the Wartime Sonnar thread in the Leica LTM forum over here. He migght be intersted in your little list, I sent him my serial number as well already.

I hope to someday run into a brass lens or a knurled one. Donations welcome :angel:

1.5/5.8cm "Leica-Sonnar"" lenses

1.5/5.8cm "Leica-Sonnar"" lenses

LeicaTom is correct in pointing out that these are not genuine CZJ products. They may well have CZJ optics in them -- the general presumption in recent years is that they were a scam produced by some Soveit NCO's and Zeiss technicians. These lenses are not common and the posting of serial numbers would ALWAYS be appreciated. I own a number of these and others have written several articles in recent years on these lenses in the Leica Historical Society of America's VIEWFINDER and in the ZEISS HISTORICA SOCIETY JOURNAL.

Marc

Hi Marc,
are you talking about the 5,8 cm or the 5cm 1,5 knurled "diamant cut) ring ?

for the latter, the lens is definitvly CZJ with matching serial numbers (front ring and glass are CZJ... the barrel looks wartime CZJ with non-jupiter set of screws... but the engraving is totally odd...)

Last edited:
Yep, I'm still looking for serial numbers to add to the "wartime" CZJ Sonnar T
LTM SURVIVORS LIST ~ along with photographs

Any f1.5/50 Sonnar T's in the #272xxxx ranges

f2/50 Sonnar T's n the #270xxxx to #271xxxx ranges

and

f2.8/35 Biogon T's in the #271xxxx ranges

Thank You!

Tom

Hans-Jürgen Kuc shows 2 pics of Contax Sonnar 5.8cm Nr 1459655 in his book- indicating clearly that Zeiss was experimenting with 5.8cm lenses around 1932/33, so the 5.8cm LTM lenses are genuine Zeiss !
how would anyone have faked them ? it took Zeiss 3 years of calculations to produce the first Sonnars 1929 ! does anyone think a Soviet NCO, or an obscure Polish craftsman could fake a Sonnar ????

Back