Minolta LTM Minolta-35 Model II Light Leak

Minolta M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
Local time
4:10 AM
My Minolta-35 Model II, which worked perfectly with roll 1, now shows light leaks in half the frames of roll 2 (the leak is in the top left of the image). The camera does not have any light seals that I can identify, and I cannot pinpoint the source of the leak. I'd be grateful for any advice on resolving this issue. Thanks in advance!

Check with the curtains. It could be the culprit for the leak. Are there any samples available? It would help to better identify the possible sources of the leak.

Thank you.
Here are 3 of the affected frames from the roll:

Attachments

• Minolta35II_01.jpg
    Minolta35II_01.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Minolta35II_02.jpg
    Minolta35II_02.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Minolta35II_03.jpg
    Minolta35II_03.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
The shutter curtains on the Minolta-35 suck ... I mean that they do not age well.
It looks like one of the two curtains has degraded, and is allowing light through.
Most of the Minolta-35's that I have had had shutter curtains so poor that they are not usable ... even fabric paint could not salvage them.

Use a good flashlight to check both curtains.

Thanks, folks for the suggestions.
I just checked with a flashlight, and some light seems to be coming through between the 2 curtains where they join, but only if the incident light is at a particular angle. Confession - I am not good with DIY repairs. So is this something that can be sealed relatively easily, or best left to a qualified repairperson?

Teemō;2850539 said:
Black automotive silicon will do the job - it sets hard yet remains flexible. Apply a thin but wide coat to both sides of the affected area.

The camera is not valuable enough to have professionally repaired, anyway.

Thanks! I'll give it a try :)

I am not familiar with automotive silicon, but electrician's liquid tape works very will and can be applied and shoud be used in small amounts. I have used it and my son-in-law just repaired the bellows on a Moskva 4 with it.

When you say that light comes through in the place where the two shutters meet, do you mean that the two shutter curtains do not overlap when you advance the film?

Back