Canon LTM more canon p cameras

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
Richard, does that black Canon P look a little suspicious to you? Shouldn't the strap lugs and rings be chrome? Or at least show some wear? Was that camera recently painted?

Don't forget the photo.net forums also! You can often find great deals in a user-to-user ad and there are also some members with a more or less continuous offer. That's how I got my 7 for $135 :)

Brian Sweeney said:
I have been busy Scanning. Here are some shots from the $27 Canon 50mm F1.8 that I CLA'd myself. It had a heavy coating of haze on an interior element, now gone. This job took 45 Minutes.[/URL]

:eek: Where did you get that lens cleaning skills ???

Joe, that lens has a place on my "Basket Case 7" that I opened up last night. From the outside it is hard to detect the impact point; on the inside the prism that projects the frame lines Sheared Off! Yup, solid glass with a clean break near the base. It was CHEAP! The prism and condensor lens were just bouncing around in there, and a mask was blocking the VF. Needless to say, the RF needs to be adjusted.

I got the prism and condensor in place; need to get the frame lines back on track and adjust the RF. THEN: I am going to mount an accessory shoe where the meter was, and remove the H/L switch that gets in the way of my glasses. Incredibly, the shutter is accurate and everything else works.

So it and the cheap 50 will be "The Beater", you know those photographic conditions, like going to the beach, that you
"Leave it to Beater".

On the lens, I took it apart, cleaned the elements, and put it back together. I did not use an auto-collimator to check alignment, and did not test it out on an optics bench. I have yet to take apart a 1950's RF lens for cleaning, put it back together, and see eveidence in the pictures that is is out-of-focus. I believe that the precision work went into making the individual lens, mount, and retaining ring. Taking it apart and putting it back together again is an easier job than putting it together for the first time. I have also swapped elements on a Nikkor zoom (11 Element lens) and a Retina IIc without seeing evidence of bad focus. Of course my experience with a few lenses does not mean that all will work out, but it certainly goes against the "you can't clean a lens without using an autocollimator to line it back up again" posts that I have seen.

Oscar,
I simply started taking apart junk lenses and cleaning them up. I use a $25 spanner, needle nose pliers, and some stiff tweezers to get the retaining lenses out. I learned to order the parts as they come out, using an ice-cube tray. I have a amatuer repair books by Tomosey, good for hints. When you are at the flea market, get a couple of those junk lenses and start practicing.

The Canon lenses are VERY EASY to take apart. One retaining ring on the back removes them from the focus mount. The rear module comes out, and the lenses are hard coated. Last night it took be 20 minutes to get at the elements nearest to the aperture. The oil from the aperture had left a haze on them; came right off with lens cleaner.

Brian Sweeney said:
THEN: I am going to mount an accessory shoe where the meter was, and remove the H/L switch that gets in the way of my glasses.

This is how the original accessory shoe for the 7 looks like. Odd isn't it ? I've been thinking about building an easier to use one attachable to the bottom plate via the tripod thread. Heck you can even mount the shoe on a straight attachable plate, only that the finder would be on the bottom of the camera :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think it shouldn't be too difficult to build an L-shaped metal arm which attached to the tripod but ended on the top plate, just above the meter window...

Ideas, just that ... :)

Last edited:
well brian, i envy, if not your talent, then your courage. i have no skill in this area and lack the courage to give it that old college try.
my short temper makes it very difficult to do things that require that kind of detail work. and the arthritis doesn't help either.:)

joe

Doug, don't know if the Canon P is repainted or not.
One thing is for sure - I have other things to spend 3K on...

Back