Industar LTM My Leica iiif; Elmar or mint Industar 50

Industar M39 lenses

literiter

Well-known
Local time
1:27 PM
I managed to get a very nice Leica iiif a few weeks ago without a lens. The idea of getting a nice Elmar seemed like a good idea, but I find these things are a tad pricey so I found a almost mint Industar 50.
I'm happy with the pics so far, but I'm having a bit of GAS.

I wonder if I may initiate a conversation regarding the merits of FSU, Elmar, Summicron, or Summitar lenses for my iiif.

Is there really any advantage to the Leica lenses?

Any pics we could share?

I just adjusted the shim on a Rigid I-50 for a friend, and need to adjust a collapsible I-50 picked up in a trade. I also have another I-50 Rigid that is off, needs to be adjusted for the Leica. The focus was off by 2m backfocus at 5m. You might get lucky, and it be correct for your Leica. Or, you end up learning how to adjust lenses.

The Leica lenses are typically going to focus correctly with your IIIa. As for the advantage- they typically are more uniform. They also cost more. Conservation of inconvenience.

Collapsible Summicron on my Leica M8, wide-open at F2. Focus was spot-on.

picture.php

picture.php

The older Leica lenses need to be checked for condition, haze and scratches on the elements. This Summicron is near perfect.

Last edited:
The famed Elmar 50/3.5, when collapsed into a barnack body, makes a very compact camera that's pocketable if you've got decent sized pockets. Ditto the Summitar and, I imagine, a collapsible 'chron, although the little Elmar is the most compact. Beyond that, I don't see any particular advantage to the Leica lenses unless you happen to like the specific characteristics of the lens (and I happen to like the Elmar and Summitar I've got for my IIIc). I think the important point is keeping the overall package small. Recently, I've been using a CV 50/2.5 on my IIIc; makes a nice, pocketable kit when a more modern 50 is called for. YMMV.

Thank you Brian Sweeney, for the pics. It seems you can get pretty close to the subject with a M8 and a Summicron.

Bingley, My I-50 is about the same size as the Elmar when extended or collapsed. I does fit my coat pocket quite readily.

Perhaps I should try for a Elmar.

Having had both, I would say it's all about the rendition. I prefer the Elmar in that regard; it is slightly lower contrast and the oof highlights are not so harsh.

Regards,

Bill

Well, since I have an Industar, I would be interested to see your results with your Industar 50. I like mine (thanks, Johan!) and was stunned to see that it compared nicely with my D2X and a highly-rated Nikkor lens.

I use a Fed f3.5 collapsible on my Leica 111 a lot, and can't really think of any reason to change it for an Elmar.....cost just £14 too!:)
Dave.
4529127152_b72aafcb4e.jpg

I paid three hundred for a mint red scale Elmar. Worth every penny.

Summitars are good 4 to 11, just larger and you need to solce the filter, hood and cap problems as they are non standard.

All have butter soft coatings, so clean VERY carefully using proper methods.

Last edited:
Dave, you're welcome! Happy to hear the old gal is still on the lookout! ;)

Literiter, the collapsible Industar Dave2 has would be my choice too, but only after test shooting. Lense that old in mint condition could also mean somethings off, right? OOF from the Elmar is nicer, but that only counts if shooting wide open a lot. When stopped down, the Industar will beat the Elmar for sharpness and contrast, providing its a good specimen. And, the price!

The only problem (small!) I have with these lenses is changing the aperture! - especially when using one of my custom shades, so on a bright day I tend to set f8 or f5.6 - and just play with shutter speeds when walking around :)
Dave.
4509701971_28c0220fb3_m.jpg

Well, since I have an Industar, I would be interested to see your results with your Industar 50. I like mine (thanks, Johan!) and was stunned to see that it compared nicely with my D2X and a highly-rated Nikkor lens.

My Industar 50 is the collapsible version. I've run a test roll through it to assure myself the camera is capable of focusing with the lens. It seems to be, as well it renders colors OK. (Pictures of my winter killed backyard are colorless and will not be published.)

I'll post some good scans when I get something interesting.

There are four different kinds of Elmars in screw mount, that are presenting themselves:
1) Black scale Elmar
2) Red scale Elmar
3) Nickle Elmar
4) Aperture behind the lens, probably making it easier to adjust aperture, particularly with a hood. ( I like this one)

What are thoughts?

Last edited:
Are they all coated?

The red scale is reputed to be the best of the Elmar 50/3.5 lenses, but I think any of them is worth looking at if the particular sample is a good one. I was shooting a 1947 vintage coated black scale 50/3.5 on a IIIc today. Lots of fun. Just souped the negs and they look pretty good. I'll know better when I scan tomorrow.

#4 on your list sounds like it could be a 50/2.8. Those are very nice, too, some say better than the 3.5 (I don't know about that), but are larger in size than the 3.5.

If you are getting good focus across the range, literiter, and generally acceptable results, an Elmar is unlikely to be an improvement. If you are looking for "a look", the probability is that you will see it where you expect to see it and nowhere else.

Lense that old in mint condition could also mean somethings off, right?

Yes, I'm thinking this myself, now that you've mentioned it. So far, the one roll I've put through it suggests the focus is pretty good. Next I'll look for edge to edge sharpness and color.

The only problem (small!) I have with these lenses is changing the aperture! - especially when using one of my custom shades, so on a bright day I tend to set f8 or f5.6 - and just play with shutter speeds when walking around :)
Dave.
4509701971_28c0220fb3_m.jpg

Leica made a shade that had a mechanism that fit around the aperture lever, so you could easily adjust it. Dave- ever thought of incorporating a mechanism into your custom shade to allow easy change of the aperture?

The pre-war Elmars are not coated. The red-scale Elmars are reputed to be the best, a newer glass was used. I have no complaints about my 1947 coated Elmar, glass and coating is in great condition. I use a 19mm filter with it, a Walz filter made for the Argus C3. It fits the Elmar, and allows the aperture to be adjusted.

If you are getting good focus across the range, literiter, and generally acceptable results, an Elmar is unlikely to be an improvement.
Probably correct here. Today I'll try the rest of a roll and see how all the things stack up.

If you are looking for "a look", the probability is that you will see it where you expect to see it and nowhere else.
Frankly I can't tell the difference in the results between my Nikkor 50mm f1.4 and my Canadian Summicron M f2, and I've really tried.

The truth is I'm indulging myself with a bit of camera fondling and would like to get the equipment to "look" right. It is a inconvenient camera to use with that squinty viewfinder and tricky loading system.

To me the iiif is a little jewel of a thing. With the lens collapsed it is'nt much larger than my G10 and a heck of a lot nicer to look at.

"I'm indulging myself with a bit of camera fondling.... the iiif is a little jewel of a thing."

The IIIa which should reach me any day now is a 2mm littler jewel of a thing. At this time I don't have a 50mm lens for it.

Back