New Leica Summaron-M 28mm f/5.6 lens?

I have the original Summaron 5.6/28, from 1956. Leica had planned on making a bayonet mount but, never got around to it because the Canadian 2.8/28 was due to be released.

I've shot this lens on film and the M. The M has had a profile for the lens for a couple of years. The profile removes the red edge and vignetting. I've never noticed the red edge or vignetting. The lens is sharp on center and contrasty out to the edge of the vertical hight of the sensor frame. Corners are not so good but, for most stuff they are fine.

This is a fun little lens and can be picked up used for about $600. At least that is the last sale noted at Tamarkin auction in November, 2016. It was rated as excellent ++ Somebody got a nice lens.

I believe the value is in the original version, if you can find one in good optical condition. This lens seems to have a lot of copies with scratched, foggy and damaged optics. Also, Leica only made about 6000 of them, I believe.

What I was expecting was a tiny, super high quality lens both optically and mechanically. Pretty much the raison d'etre of Leica's being.
That was why I bought Leica glass.

Sounds like you need the 28mm Elmarit APSH. Such a perfect little lens with no vignetting.

it seems nobody here bought or even tried this lens...I'm curious to see any photo from real users ...
robert

I've had the lens since it was released and have used it almost exclusively since then. Most of the photos in my tumblr and flickr feeds over the last year or so were taken with this lens.

I borrowed this lens for an afternoon on the weekend. Really nice.

Small is an understatement. Even with the hood attached, it was very compact. Without the hood it is practically flush with the camera (not really, but close).

Because of how shallow the lens is, the DOF and focus scale are on the front face of the mount. Took some getting used to, having to look a the front of the camera to find out where the focus is at (without looking in the viewfinder).

I mostly used the lens at f/8 to f/16... probably mostly set to f/11 walking around Toronto.

These photos are also in my gallery.

U16998I1524963769.SEQ.2.jpg

U16998I1524963769.SEQ.1.jpg

U16998I1524963768.SEQ.0.jpg

I had planned on getting an M10 but put that on permanent hold since I won't have the opportunity to use it in this crisis. If I can shoot iso 3200 and higher all day I would get the smallest lenses I can buy for it.

I own this lens,beautiful rendering,sharp as you would ever need in the centre,vignette that suits my style,its small and very well made.
Disgraceful and vile comments fro the haters on this thread that show social media at its very worse.

Last edited:
Back