Established
Local time
3:43 PM
Hello
Just wondering which is preferred and why
looking at possibly getting one.

Or should I go for the 5

Thanks

If you mean a later 3-F with the lever wind, that is better. If a 3-F with the knob wind, they're about the same as a 3-S. Just go for one that is working better if not with a lever wind.

I am getting ready to move at the beginning of July so will probably have to wait a couple of months.

I have the Nicca IIIS, and even though I don't know all the vagaries between models (as the 3-S is different), I'm happy with its operation.

I also have a Yashica YF which was made after the merger between Nicca and Yashima to create Yashica. It looks more like an M3 except with the slow speeds dial on front, and gives homage to the merger by having the Nicca name on the front, and Yashica on the top. They are kind of rare though, as only 7,000 to 10,000 were ever made (closer to the 7,000 number from what I've garnered).

This site shows the major variations of the 3/III series mainly consist of whether or not it has on-body flash sync, and whether it is the old style, or new style sync.

Nicca Cameras

PF

IIIf (3-F)

IIIf (3-F)

Hi guys (girls),

so I am also getting into this Nicca train, it will be my first classic LTM body outside of USSR (after Zorki 4 a FED 2).

Having some lenses (also USSR made) like Jupiter 12, Jupiter 8, a bunch of Industars at 50mm (26m, 61), what should be my next step when I got this body? Will Canon 50 on a Nicca look like I am a hipster or someone who knows what he is doing? :)

I had a Nicca 5L(Tower 45/46), it was a really nice camera. Almost a cross between a Barnack and an M2. Maybe more like an evolutionary step between a Barnack and an M2, not as nice and advanced as the M2, but more advanced than the Barnack.

Best,
-Tim

So... do you know what you are doing?
Any film camera will make you look like a hipster, except maybe the later compact rangefinders. I carried FSU jobs, and everyone assumed they were Leicas, if they recognized them as old film cameras. Why not just move to the top of the food chain and get a Leica?

Why not just move to the top of the food chain and get a Leica?

The Japanese Leica copies have a charm of their own and came with very fine lenses, most if not all are more rare than any Leica IIIa or IIIf and the quality of ones like the Leotax was not too far off from a true Leica.

The later Japanese Leica copies have some varied original improvements over the stock Barnack true Leica camera body that make them interesting and quirky, as many were made in small numbers in a short time span before they were improved again and again, all in the late 1950s.

So... do you know what you are doing?
Any film camera will make you look like a hipster, except maybe the later compact rangefinders. I carried FSU jobs, and everyone assumed they were Leicas, if they recognized them as old film cameras. Why not just move to the top of the food chain and get a Leica?

Well, I know that I am on a way. Nicca should and could take me into higher quality bodies. But, body.. that is just a box for a film, so that is why I am wondering about what should be my next step in lenses - LTM is that nice kind of mount accepted by almost everyone in 30s-50s, so there are some choices.

I am not looking for an admiration of other hipsters, that was just a (bad) joke :)

Well, I know that I am on a way. Nicca should and could take me into higher quality bodies. But, body.. that is just a box for a film, so that is why I am wondering about what should be my next step in lenses - LTM is that nice kind of mount accepted by almost everyone in 30s-50s, so there are some choices.

I am not looking for an admiration of other hipsters, that was just a (bad) joke :)

If your camera comes with its original lens, it should be a good one as they mostly used Nikkors. But any of the other LTM mount lenses such as Canon, and Minolta will work as well.

PF

If your camera comes with its original lens, it should be a good one as they mostly used Nikkors. But any of the other LTM mount lenses such as Canon, and Minolta will work as well.

PF

No, it will be just a body itself. Since they usually come with 50mm and I have a bunch of those. So what I am going to do is to find a nice 35mm. Any recommendation for under 300 USD? :) if possible, of course.

I just bought a CV 35mm f/2.5 LTM for $265 for a Canon IId2 I have. I've owned the lens before and it's pretty good and tiny.

I'd recommend a Canon for the following reason. All Leica and Leica copies have the viewfinders over the lens. Many lenses will block part of the finder--some a little--some a lot. A Canon has the finder offset and so this is less of a problem. The models that end in "2" like IVsb2 and IIs2 have slightly less squinty finders and modern shutter speeds.

The YF was a nice camera -- I had one -- but I'm less and less sure why people want to try to use these things. As David said, why not just go for a Leica if all you want to do is take pictures? Or for that matter a modern Voigtlander?

Then again, I used to try lots of different cameras too, and it's sort of hard to remember why. I can see the point of collecting -- again, I used to do it, and Frances and I wrote a book about rangefinder and direct vision cameras* -- but I only ever bought or borrowed cameras that I came across by chance. The collector/user interface is probably more easily solved by going for Leicas.

*I find it amusing that there are 6 strongly positive and 3 strongly negative reviews in the link. As one of my editors said, "You're a Marmite writer": Marmite is a spread that people reputedly either love or hate. Those who didn't like it complained basically that it wasn't the book they'd have written; except of course that none of them actually did write anything except poor reviews...

Cheers,

R.

I had a Nicca 5L(Tower 45/46), it was a really nice camera. Almost a cross between a Barnack and an M2. Maybe more like an evolutionary step between a Barnack and an M2, not as nice and advanced as the M2, but more advanced than the Barnack.

Best,
-Tim

Tim,

I have a clean Tower 45/46 being delivered tomorrow.

Cal

I’ve had a few Nicca/Tower and Leotax cameras, but my favorite Japanese Leica copies are the Canons. I’m using a IVSB2 now and it’s the only screw mount camera I still have. Build quality is better and the rangefinders are great. Admittedly, the viewfinders are squinty, but I mostly use my Leitz shoe-mount finders with them. What’s great about the RF is the adjustable magnification. When using external finders, I’ll set the magnification to 1.5 - makes focusing easy and precise.

I had a Tower 45/46 and, honestly, that’s what convinced me to get my first M. I figured, it was so close to an M already, why not just stop f***ing around and get the real thing. Have not regretted that decision one bit. All said, they are still very nice cameras.

Back