Nicca / Tower LTM Nicca 5 Shutter Problem

Nicca / Tower M39 screw mount bodies

mickjazz

Local time
1:38 PM
I acquired basically a cosmetically mint Nicca 5 with a 5cm nikkor f2 with the Nicca shade. Beautiful but the shutter is doing something ive seen once before on a iiic stepper.

There's like no second curtain. Maybe disconnected or the ties missing. It winds and resets. Release of the shutter moves the 1st curtain at which point the film plane is left completely open. The condition of the 1st curtain is excellent. The speeds are off as you would expect.

This model with the lift up back is different than the other Niccas i have had.

Anyone with a Nicca 5 or the Tower rf with the lift up door seen this behavior?

That could be caused by many things.

Is the top shutter speed dial in the correct position?

Can you see the metal strip edge of the 2nd shutter curtain when the shutter is set on B and held open?

Maybe the 2nd shutter curtain is not being released by the pawl, which is activated by the 1st shutter curtain.

Are both shutter curtains properly tensioned ?

I have seen the old rubberized cloth curtains semi melted and stuck to the drum in the past.

Or as you mentioned, the shutter curtain tapes could have come unglued to the rollers or snapped off by wear and tear.

Only a dis-assembly of the camera will find out the real cause of the problem.

The Nicca type 5 is a delightful and rare camera with certain improved features that do not appear on Barnack Leicas and deserves professional repair attention to sort it out.

Back