Nicca / Tower LTM Nicca IIIs

Nicca / Tower M39 screw mount bodies

Lucadomi

Well-known
Local time
2:31 PM
I just bought this camera. It is very new to me. It took me quite a while to load the first film today. I am guessing this is very close to an original Leica LTM. I used it today and I really like it. So solid and well built, small and portable. I was considering a more expensive Minolta CLE or Leica Cl as portable camera. i am very happy with my choice so far.

It looks great. Loading is a tough one!
There is a way with a business card, see internet..
Also need the special leader..
Nicca are good cameras.
I worked with the last one, similar to a M3.

Thanks for the good comments. I will get used to loading I guess. But the feeling of the camera is surprisingly good and I hope also the Chiyoko lens will perform well. Shooting was actually quick and I did not mind the small viewfinder that much and focusing was fine. I was really surprised by this camera. I am already considering a small 35mm lens for it.

The Canon and Nicca clones were the best. You don't *have* to cut the extra leader. The main thing is confirming sprockets lining up on the take up side, which should be visible. Just make sure your take up spool is all the way down, sometimes you have to push a bit.

Pixie is referring to a late Nicca clone that was sold in the U.S. as a Tower 45/46 that had lever advance, a Contax style frame counter and an opening film back to assist in loading. After they were bought by Yashica there was a version of it called the YE with 1/500 max speed and black enamel dials. It is probably the perfect "user" of the Leica III variants alongside the Leica IIIg.

The Canon and Nicca clones were the best. You don't *have* to cut the extra leader. The main thing is confirming sprockets lining up on the take up side, which should be visible. Just make sure your take up spool is all the way down, sometimes you have to push a bit.

Pixie is referring to a late Nicca clone that was sold in the U.S. as a Tower 45/46 that had lever advance, a Contax style frame counter and an opening film back to assist in loading. After they were bought by Yashica there was a version of it called the YE with 1/500 max speed and black enamel dials. It is probably the perfect "user" of the Leica III variants alongside the Leica IIIg.

My Tower 45/46:
http://www.johanniels.com/index.php/camera-gear-articles/55-leica-bettered-the-tower-45 :cool:

and the thread on RFF:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125538

I did cut the film, but I will try without cutting next time. I was able to see the sprockets and, once I pushed all the way down, the film was engaged properly. I put in bulb also checked from the front with shutter open. The Tower 45/46 also looks very nice. I like the small accessory viewfinder, it looks perfect when using a 35mm lens. I was thinking to get a 35mm summaron. Thanks for the feedback. I am really discovering a very interesting new world here with these cameras.

There she is with the Summaron. Super portable now. Small 35mm viewfinder is on is way.
4a24d74e-6816-4cb0-b677-2e7529244b2b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I did cut the film, but I will try without cutting next time. . . . .
I really wouldn't. Like an awful lot of short cuts, it works until it doesn't. When it doesn't, the perforations get chewed up and you get film chips in the camera. Rare? Yes. Unknown? No. It also slows loading.

Cheers,

R.

Thanks for the tip Roger. I hope the second time around to be a little faster. If the film catches on properly on the spool and on the sprocket everything should go well. It is worth it the effort because really enjoy the camera. I hope i will not end up buying too many ltm lenses now!

I tried the Summaron today and i can see that at infinity the image is not aligning properly. I can still see the image slightly doubled in the rangefinder patch at infinity. I am not sure how is this affecting the focussinng but i think i will have to return this lens and look for another compact lens.

I just picked one up today as my intro into the Barnack-like world. And I'm excited about the find!
I hope your experience has been positive.

Before you blame the lens, does the camera RF line up at infinity with any other lenses? The wisest course is to send both the camera and the lens to someone such as Don Goldberg, to sort it out.

Also, do you know which flash socket is for which?
I have David Murphy's Leotax S. I believe the lower socket on my Leotax is actually for F bulb flash synch, as use of the socket with 1/20 shutter speed leaves a band on one side where the shutter curtains did not clear the film gate before the flash fired.

The upper synch port on mine seems to be an M bulb flash synch (fires 1/20 second before the shutter starts to travel). The flash seems to fire first before the shutter even opens, leaving the effect of no flash seen on the film.

I may send my camera off to Don just to get the F synch port converted to X synch for electronic flash.

It looks great. Loading is a tough one!
There is a way with a business card, see internet..
Also need the special leader..
Nicca are good cameras.
I worked with the last one, similar to a M3.

With my LTM Leicas I always slidda piece of processed kodalith between the pressure plate and sprockets. It has to be large enough to mask the sprockets. I then slide the film between the kodalith and pressure plate. Remove the kodalith and wind the film to engage the sprockets in the sprocket holes. It could be done with a 4x5 piece of film too. Also I don't think I cut a leader.

Took my recently purchased Nicca IIIs out today, and noticed that there are no threads around the shutter button to attach the Leica style release cable, nor is there any other way, unless there is a type that clamps onto the bell housing that surrounds the button.

I'm thinking of getting the single focal length finders for my lenses, as looking through the Tewe finder just isn't getting it for me, plus it adds quite a bit of bulk to the top of the camera. Same with the Leica VIOOH.

PF

Does the bell housing not unscrew?

I couldn't get it to. There is no mention in the manual of how to attach a cable release, though on the last page it does mention it (Leica type) as one of the many available accessories. I get the feeling they think you should rely on the T setting for taking long exposures.

PF

My IIIs has the bell housing that can be removed. Then I use a Nikon cable release that screws over the shutter button.

Back