Nikon DR-3 and DR-6 right-angle finders

seany65

Well-known
Local time
4:18 PM
Hello all,

I've recently decided to look into getting a nikon DR-3 right-angle finder for my nikon fm2n for any low or awkward shots, and getting a DR-6 for my F301 for the same reasons. I've done what I can on the interwebnet for manuals and reviews, but all I can find is a dr-6 manual which doesn't tell me what I need to know, and neither do the very fewe youtube clips, so I'd like to ask a few questions:

Has anyone got either of these finders and does either one of them limit the amount of the focusing screen that can be seen, and does either have a way of locking the dioptre correction setting once it's been set or would I have to re-focus every time I put them on their camera?

I recently bought a right-angle finder for my mamiya m645 1000s but got a bit annoyed at having to focus the camera at infinity and then focus the finder on the focusing screen every time I put it on the camera.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, lagedrink. Do you have to refocus it every time you put it on? Do you have to focus the camera on something and then focus the finder on the focus screen? Does it have a model name/number on it?

There's a description of my finder on this page:

It has a reversed image so isn't very practical. Once it's mounted I can turn the black eyepiece to focus the eyepiece adapter on the camera focus screen. This can be done independently of focusing the camera lens.

There's no model name on it (I have a Nikon collector book, I'll check this when I get home from work). It came in a Nikon F branded box.

largedrink, Thanks for the link and the info.

So is it possible to focus the finder on the focusing screen and then focus the lens?

largedrink, Thanks for the link and the info.

So is it possible to focus the finder on the focusing screen and then focus the lens?
It's definitely possible to focus the eyepiece before focusing the lens, or even without a lens. The eyepiece can be focused on the edge of the viewfinder window, the circle marked on the focus screen, or the shutter speed reading.

Small correction to my post above, my version came in a box marked Nikon/Nikkormat

I have a DR-3 and you can lock focus so it's ready for when you mount it. All you need to do is focus the lens.
Does the DR-3 present the image the right way around? Sounds more sophisticated and useful than the first model.

I have a DR-4. It is the replacement for the DR-3. I use it with a Nikon F and with an F6. The image is upright and not reversed. There is a knob to lock the focus.

I don't have my Nikons here now, and I don't remember which is which, but the DR-4 has the correct eyepiece thread to fit one of my Nikons directly and it needs a DK-12 adaptor to fit the other.

I have the version that fits on the D7100. It does have the diopter adjustment as others have said. I never noticed any issues with view finder reduction. I quite like it for low perspective shots.

From what I understand of the page largedrink linked to, the DR-4 seems to be basically identical to the DR-3 and also has a 19mm mount, but comes with an adapter for 22mm mount, but I've seen some on ebay in which the seller states they have a 22mm mount. One of these sellers is mifsud.

I bought a DR-3 for my FM2n this week, and I found that when the rubber eyecup is folded down I can see the corners and the "ADR" while wearing glasses. I'll have to presume I see the LEDs as I've not got a battery in the camera as I knew it would be a while before I can get to use it.

Curiously though, after I've focused the lens carefully without the DR-3 and then put the DR-3 on, the vertical lines in the split image rangefinder aren't quite aligned. I don't think it's because I pointed the camera slightly downward during these "tests", and I made sure not to touch the lens when I was screwing the finder on. I'll have to do a tripod test.

I now have a Nikon Dr-6 which I bought for my Nikon F301. For a speccy-four-eyes like me the very edges of the corners aren't quite easy to see without moving my eye, but I can see much more of the screen than without the dr-6 in place and not only can I see the shutter speeds in the finder, they are as clear and sharp as I could want, whereas without the DR-6 they are blurred. Another thing I noticed is that I don't have to re-focus the dr-6 when switching from 1x to 2x or back. The viewfinder image is a little bit smaller with the dr-6 than without it, as with my dr-3 and Mamiya angle finder.

Back