Nikon S2 Compartment Case

Alpsman

Well-known
Local time
1:56 AM
I bought an old Nikon Compartment Case for the Nikon S2 / SP.
This quality is no longer produced today. The insert is made of sheet steel!
A few seams were unraveling and part of the shoulder strap was missing. But I already fixed that.
The zipper wasn't torn, that was the most important thing.

What I'm particularly interested in now:
How was the camera "fixed" in the bag?
There are two tabs inside, but they are far enough apart that the camera can slip through between them. No strap seems to be missing either.
Do any of you have pictures where you can see the bag with the camera?
All I find online are empty bags/cases and they look exactly like mine.

I "assume" that the bag was built so that the camera can be stored with the half case installed. There would still be enough space around the camera for this.

I don't think there are many owners of such an old bag, but maybe someone can help me.
Thank you: Dieter

Pix: nikon s2 compartment case - Google Search
and scrolling down a little:

Last edited:
Many counsel against using an old bag due to risk of fungus. It sounds avery interesting bag though.
No visible fungus, the case is dry. Also I dont use it to store the camera & lenses.
It simply suits this "old" camera better in terms of style than carrying it around in a new plastic bag ;-)

Post some pictures of yours, I think mine is the same- has two metal clips on the lid above the compartment that the camera goes in.

The outer case changed design, as you can see from the search. The inner compartments varies greatly. Mine has room for several lenses and filters. The camera sits in the large compartment, next to the lenses. I think the clips might be related to the Motor and Battery pack. But- I have neither.

Post some pictures of yours, I think mine is the same- has two metal clips on the lid above the compartment that the camera goes in.

The outer case changed design, as you can see from the search. The inner compartments varies greatly. Mine has room for several lenses and filters. The camera sits in the large compartment, next to the lenses. I think the clips might be related to the Motor and Battery pack. But- I have neither.
Hi Brian! Some pix from the case.
From the outside
DSCN5486 lo.JPG
The Insert, flaps are encircled in red
DSCN5487 lo.JPG
and with the camera in the case.
One can see, there is about 3/4 inch space, to less for a attached viewfinder or a motordrive.
The camera can slip between those two flaps
DSCN5488 lo.JPG
Best thanx: Dieter

Mine is a bit newer than that one- has the smooth top, like a Nikon FB-3 type case.
I'm thinking there could be a missing piece that slid in over the tabs in the case, would hold the camera firmly in place.

I have one of the older rangefinder compartment cases with the top like yours, "somewhere" in the closet, will look for it when going it. On the list! This weekend, swapping home offices with my Daughter, moving Lots of Lenses.

Mine is a bit newer than that one- has the smooth top, like a Nikon FB-3 type case.
I'm thinking there could be a missing piece that slid in over the tabs in the case, would hold the camera firmly in place.

I have one of the older rangefinder compartment cases with the top like yours, "somewhere" in the closet, will look for it when going it. On the list! This weekend, swapping home offices with my Daughter, moving Lots of Lenses.
The FB-3 is a little bit bigger and for the Nikon F - mine is at the upholsterer for sewing in a new zipper.
I also guess, that there is some kind of insert that is missing. But all pix I found on the internet shows the case without anything similar.

As soon as I'm done with the prototypes for my film canister belt bags I'll put my brain to work. Maybe I'll think of something I can make there. Or another nice forum user has a picture or a tip for me :)

Not to highjack your thread, but here's a Zeiss case for a Contax II or III outfit:ContaxLeatherCase.jpg
I wouldn't dream of using this now for a carrying case or storage, but interesting just the same. When I was first starting out in photography the leather large case was still popular for cameras and interchangeable lenses, but it was soon superseded by nylon cloth alternatives that are much more practical.

Not to highjack your thread, but here's a Zeiss case for a Contax II or III outfit:View attachment 4832848
I wouldn't dream of using this now for a carrying case or storage, but interesting just the same. When I was first starting out in photography the leather large case was still popular for cameras and interchangeable lenses, but it was soon superseded by nylon cloth alternatives that are much more practical.
Thank you for showing me. You can always pick up an idea or suggestion somewhere, anywhere.
Of course these new nylon cloth bags are more practical, sometimes more waterproof, etc. but are they also - more beautiful?
Personally, I would rather pick up a leather bag or leather jacket than one made of nylon cloth. Or furniture made from oiled natural wood. Porcelain dinnerware and stainless steel cutlery instead of plastic. Or cameras made of metal instead of plastic.
But I leave that up to each individual and I don't tell anyone. If no one wants to buy these old leather bags, then at least they'll be left for me ;-)

I collected a number of cases for Nikon between 15~20 years ago. Trying to determine the Model Number of some of the earlier bags was not easy!

If you would like to start a thread for Camera Cases and Bags- please do. I will contribute to it, as I get time. I have some of the more difficult to find, like the CH-11 for the F2 with DS servo drive.

@ UV76:
Thank you very very much for showing yer beautiful cases :love:
As I suspected, the camera fits into the insert with the leather half case.
I dare to ask if you have a larger picture of the brochure image :)

@ UV76:
Thank you very very much for showing yer beautiful cases :love:
As I suspected, the camera fits into the insert with the leather half case.
I dare to ask if you have a larger picture of the brochure image :)
I am also looking for the original brochure or a better resolution image. I will post it here when I find one :)

I have two type 1s. They are both full of Nikon RF equipment. Nice design with a place for everything and everything in its place. The carry straps tend to fail, the elastic lens holder straps always fail, and the sides get broken when someone places something heavy on top. For reasons I do not understand, Nikon discontinued the type one when the Nikon S2 came out. Love mine.

I have two type 1s. They are both full of Nikon RF equipment. Nice design with a place for everything and everything in its place. The carry straps tend to fail, the elastic lens holder straps always fail, and the sides get broken when someone places something heavy on top. For reasons I do not understand, Nikon discontinued the type one when the Nikon S2 came out. Love mine.
Nice to hear :) Please post some pix if anyhow possible!
And after about 60 years the elastic bands can loose their elasticity.

These are really fun looking bags. I wouldn't mind getting one of the type 2 kind for my S2 :) but I don't think I'll go out of my way really searching for it either though. Finding one in decent shape seems a bit of stretch these days :unsure:

Divider for the camera:
Since I don't plan on buying a half case for the rangefinder, I thought about how I could make an insert that would hold the camera.
The camera should fit in either with the 50mm or the 12mm mounted, regardless of whether you put it in left or right side first.
I first made a template with a piece of thicker paper and then cut the parts out of 1mm thick cardboard.
The two flaps in the bag were 2mm thick, so I had to cut two inner parts and two outer parts.
The cardboard pieces of different widths created a groove that slipped over the two flaps.
DSCN5538 lo.JPGDSCN5540 lo.JPG
There was some self-adhesive velvet in a similar color.
Now let's see how long the velvet lasts.
The camera definitely fits in the bag without falling over.
Well, OK, its not a masterpiece.
But WTF it works, that's what matters ;-)

DSCN5548 lo.JPGDSCN5551 lo.JPGDSCN5552 lo.JPG

Greetings: Dieter

Back