Nobody there

Roger Hicks

Mentor
Local time
2:17 AM
...is the title of the newest piece on my .eu site. And alas, too many on this forum won't be at Arles, where there is no danger of freezing to death next week (link to weather forecast). For a handy reference, 38C is 100F and 30C is the low 80s...

I know some people object to my linking to articles on my site(s) but hey, they're free, and who seriously expects me to post 2000 words and 10 pictures in one post on this forum? Who would read it? What are YOUR pictures of "people who aren't there"?

Cheers,

R.

A good series Roger, I'm oft impressed by your ability to create interesting stories around your pictures. As for me because I do not like so much the strong sun the "compact" is the only possibility in your well done series :)

Ciao, robert
PS: see you in Arles

Tried three different browsers. First link in post unable to reach. Second link displays all jumbled up, and all links there are not working for me. Guess there's......nobody there :[

Love the concept, the pictures (ooh those colors -- perfect!), fun read, and have bookemarked your site. You have inspired me to try this!

Well done, Roger. I have a series of empty chair photos that also reminds me of the absence of people.

I have no objections to read OP articles on different stes and yak about them here.

30+ C wave is comming here, well, already for two days and for few more.
And in occupied by Russia Ukrainian territory where Donezk and Donbas it is +40 С in the shadow today.

I know some people object to my linking to articles on my site(s) but hey, they're free, and who seriously expects me to post 2000 words and 10 pictures in one post on this forum? Who would read it? What are YOUR pictures of "people who aren't there"?

Cheers,

R.

1. They're not free to the owner of this site who has to pay for hosting RFF.
That you are mooching off

2. Who would read it? The same people that would read it over there.

For all those who think this is acceptable behaviour stop and think for a minute. All that Hicks is doing here is using this site to drive business to his site.
If you like his work, fine. Bookmark his site and visit it as often as you like. But encouraging this behaviour - riding on the work of Steven who pays for this site is rude and boorish.

Want to use this site for the intention of promoting yourself? Pay for an ad in the classifieds.

For all those who think this is acceptable behaviour stop and think for a minute. All that Hicks is doing here is using this site to drive business to his site.
If you like his work, fine. Bookmark his site and visit it as often as you like. But encouraging this behaviour - riding on the work of Steven who pays for this site is rude and boorish.

Want to use this site for the intention of promoting yourself? Pay for an ad in the classifieds.

Please. You're being ridiculous. Links and linkbacks happen all the time. I didn't even know it's a commercial site and preferred to read the text along with the photos. The notion that this costs anything is just silly. If anything, posting a link to these pictures saved server space. Whatever costs associated with RFF would be the same with/without said link, which was in no way positioned as an ad.

Stop being a cheapskate pushing your Patreon business on RFF. If at all, it belongs in the classifieds section.

Dear Peter,

Who is being the cheapskate here? I who give stuff away and make a modest plea for support, or you who want everything for free?

If you don't want to become a patron on Patreon, DON'T.

If Stephen wants me to stop, I will. Otherwise I'll take the positive responses in preference to yours.

Cheers,

R.

A good series Roger, I'm oft impressed by your ability to create interesting stories around your pictures. As for me because I do not like so much the strong sun the "compact" is the only possibility in your well done series :)

Ciao, robert
PS: see you in Arles
Dear Robert,

For me, stories are what photography is often about.

Looking forward to seeing you! Barring mishap, there outside the hotel on Monday evening!

Cheers,

R.

To borrow your own words, "stop and think for a minute". And look at my reply to Peter. Or Nick's post.

Cheers,

R.

Tried three different browsers. First link in post unable to reach. Second link displays all jumbled up, and all links there are not working for me. Guess there's......nobody there :[

Dear Steve,

Oh, dear. I'll have to ask Tsohost what's going wrong.

Cheers,

R.

Love the concept, the pictures (ooh those colors -- perfect!), fun read, and have bookemarked your site. You have inspired me to try this!
Dear Nick,

Thanks. Encouraging others is what it's about. If they feel like becoming patrons on Patreon, that's great. If not, I find it hard to see what I have stolen from either them or Stephen (whose name I can at least spell) via the .eu site.

Cheers,

R.

I like the photos. I've had a long running personal photo project trying to illustrate the emptiness of places once occupied by people now gone that I have known, but have failed miserably at doing so. You've succeeded very well.

Back