Petri Color 35: Wind Lever suddenly stopped working.. Any Ideas?

Jules1234

Local time
4:19 PM
I have a question concerning a Petri Color 35, I hope and have reason to assume that my problem can be easily fixed. I really hope so...

I just bought it from the German version of Craigslist for a very cheap price and when it arrived it was a little beat up but worked flawlessly (as far as i could tell), the winder worked, the shutter sounded fine, the different shutter times were audibly distinguishable, also Bulb worked fine. The only problem was the back cover which couldn't be removed, but i wasn't home, so i couldn't look deeper into this. So i fired the camera quite some times, being amazed by this little camera. As I got back to the camera an hour later at home, the wind lever wouldn't go far enough to cock the shutter. (As if the shutter was already cocked, which it isn't). I thought that maybe it would lock up when you reach 36 exp (as it is with the Kodak Retina IIIc) and decided to first care about the back cover.

I now have solved the problem with the back cover. After reading the Service Manual online and looking around the edges of the back cover I assumed that the previous owner glued it on (maybe they were trying to put the leatherette back on?) and with some cautious prying and fiddling i was indeed able to remove the back (and lots of glue:) ). Fun fact: it must have been this way for quite some while, the battery in it was "made in West-Germany", which means its older than 30 years. There was also a bit of rust here an there, and the small bolt which resets the frame counter was rusted on (which was however easily fixed). Now the frame counter resets, but since I still couldn't cock the lever, my previous theory was proven wrong.

Do you have any idea whats wrong with the camera? I'm quite confused that the camera worked fine after sitting around long enough to be rusty, but doesn't anymore now, so i assume that it can't be a fatal problem. Also, I don't think that anything could have happened on the way home it arrived, it was still in the packaging...
I'm really confused now, but I would really like to use it, thanks so much in advance,
Jules

Silly question, but is the lens sufficiently extended? Needs to at or beyond the "detent". I remember mine won't fire or wind when the lens is retracted any bit.

Silly question, but is the lens sufficiently extended? Needs to at or beyond the "detent". I remember mine won't fire or wind when the lens is retracted any bit.

hey, thanks, but thats not the problem :/ the shutter can be pressed all the way when the lens is extended, but the wind lever can't be cocked...
thanks though :)

I just ran into the same issue + fixed it. all I did was fully extend the lens + adjusted the shutter wheel clockwise + counter-clockwise + voilà! worth a shot if this is still an issue, good luck!

Back