pics from industar 61ld

back alley

IMAGES
Local time
11:36 AM
some pics from my russian lens. a bit of flare in one, i have no hood yet. seems sharp yet not...

i had a hard time with the 50mm, kept being too close for the shot. it must be from being more used to and comfortable with the 35 mm.
when my other 50 shows from the ukraine i will test it out and also see if i've gotten more comfortable with that focal length.

for now, i think that 35 and 75 is best for me, but only time and practice will tell, i guess.

I like your second shot with the guy on a bike...Nice, the framing with the street signs cut out gives it a timeless look for me. If I was being picky I'd say its a bit of a pity his shadow is mixed in with the pole, I look forward to seeing some when the 50 isn't giving you a hard time :) .. good stuff

Agree with Laika - I really like #2 and I like the flare as well the way it appears in that photo (I also like the windsock).

a little off topic but i wanted to comment on the r and the meter.
after using it for a few rolls of film i'm starting to get the 'feel' of the meter. of corse i'm also using xp2 for the first time with this camera and am learning about that also. i find i need to underexpose a bit, maybe half a stop to get what i like to see in the print. it probably goes to the old saying to expose for the shadows.
as far as the russian industar, i'm not convinced about it yet. granted it's a 10 dollar lens. the images seem soft and the contrast needed a bit of a boost when i resized the originals for web posting.
i look forward to the other 50 showing up and then there will be the one attached to my fed 2 when that shows.
after all this shooting with 50s i just might get used to the focal length.

joe

backalley photo said:
i find i need to underexpose a bit, maybe half a stop to get what i like to see in the print. it probably goes to the old saying to expose for the shadows.
Joe, these photos look pretty darn nice on my monitor. I'll be following your adventures with 50mm lenses.

Your experience with needing to underexpose XP2 a bit is almost universal. Most find that it's not a true iso400 film. I know a few photogs who consistently expose it at 200 and say they get the very best results that way, even when scanning. It would be easy to experiment with this on the same roll.

It's been an age since I used any XP2. Mostly I use HP5+ and develop it in HC-110.

Gene

backalley wrote:
.."i'm also using xp2 for the first time with this camera and am learning about that also. i find i need to underexpose a bit, maybe half a stop to get what i like to see in the print. it probably goes to the old saying to expose for the shadows"..

I just thought I'd mention I use XP2 as my main B&W these days and rate it at 200 ISO unless I have no choice, I found it make a noticable difference. The hardest part was finding a C41 lab that could print them well.

This is XP2 @ 200 - FED2 w/ Jupiter 12 35mm/f2.8 - Scanned from Print.
This was in Melbourne (Oz) a couple of months ago.

gene, i'm using xp2 out of sheer laziness as my favourite films are the deltas from ilford. but having the film processed in an hour and then put on cd has made shooting fun again. eventually i will start doing it on my own again or maybe just pack up the darkroom. i must admit, i do look forward to making some enlargements on my own again.

joe

Another vote for the flare here :) and also #5 and #7 are my favorites.

Keep'em coming Joe, it's great to see you're having fun again ! I've just finished today my first XP2 since a lot of time ago (Canon7+Jupiter8 at last) and will be processing it in a 1-hour lab and having them put on a CD also so I can share them asap :)

Don't give up with the Industars so soon, and the same for the 50's, after being a 35 user for some time, I'm starting to appreciate again the good ol' plain 50.

backalley photo wrote:
"Laika, do you give the lab any instructions or have them develope the film as if it were shot at 400?"

Just drop it in for normal C41 processing, no change.

XP2 can be rated from 50 to 800 ISO (and on the same roll!) with no change in processing (as recommended by Ilford).

Quoting from Ilford spec sheet...
@ 400 = Best overall quality
@ 200 = Finer grain (with easy printing)
@ 50 = Finest grain (but with denser negatives).

Myself I've found 200 give the best results.

XP2 spec sheet pdf
http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pdf/XP2SGB_QX.pdf

Back