Post your antique and vintage photos taken before the1950’s

Adolf Galland said the B-24's were easy to shoot down. The wings carried fuel, and tended to flame easily. I attended a symposium by him, hosted by Virginia Bader. My wife's Uncle flew them. My Dad told me the B-29 crews referred to them as B-Two-Dozen Whistling Shit Wagons.
.Dad_friend2_Small.jpg

Winston Churchill visited Atlanta in February 1932 with his eldest daughter, Diana, as part of a lecture tour. He stayed three days and lectured at the old Wesley Memorial Chapel, spoke at a ROTC Parade on Grant Field at Georgia Tech and stayed at the Biltmore Hotel.

7.5x10cm negatives (Made by Ralph or Lester Smith who were both Georgia Tech engineering students shooting for the student newspaper)

churchill01 copy.pngchurchill02 copy.pngchurchill03 copy.png

Last edited:
Some classic nose art there, Brian. Say what you like about the B24 (3rd pic), it made a biiig canvas!
Great images!

Not changing the subject but I flew for thirty years and flew a 1948 Aeronca 7 DC that had no heater but that didn’t make any difference with the door off in the winter or the window open.

I had my wife that’s a designer design the art and a friend that was a marine Corp nose art painter in WWII paint my flight jacket. I thought they both did a beautiful job of design and painting. I thought it was perfect for an aerial photographer.

Attachments

• IMG_4908.jpeg
    IMG_4908.jpeg
    356.5 KB · Views: 12
Yes, the Georgia part of my wife's family. Her parents left us quite a pile of old family photos including tintypes and glass plates.
Very nice photo. I’d love to see more.

I don’t have anything in my family like that. My dads side wasn’t in the US at that time and my mothers side were in the Oklahoma territory. They were in Chickasaw territory plowing the dirt and not sure they were even aware of the war.

Back