Pretty cameras

Well, my Land Rover is a Series 2, the current RangeRovers have too much bling.

I prefer totally mechanical cars (well maintained) instead of electronic wonders that conk out when wet , and impossible to repair once the bespoke integrated circuits go out of production. Early RRclassic may perhaps be an exception. In the camera world electronic wonders have an equally short life.

p.

I love the beauty of the OM

olympusom1.JPG

Well, my Land Rover is a Series 2, the current RangeRovers have too much bling.

I prefer totally mechanical cars (well maintained) instead of electronic wonders that conk out when wet , and impossible to repair once the bespoke integrated circuits go out of production. Early RRclassic may perhaps be an exception. In the camera world electronic wonders have an equally short life.

p.
That's why I said "early"! And my Series III has the bloody hydraulic clutch instead of the simple (but admittedly heavy) Series II version.

Cheers,

R.

Never owned Alpa12, gave up on larger format 6x9 with the compact but unsuitable for hand held, mountains use TechnicaIV. In closed state it micht qualify as visually attractive. Open it had all adjustments one might wish for, but the old Rollex back had its problems and it did not fit in my anorak.

As for the Alpas, there was a time when used ones were unknown, deeply unfashionable and cheap but the optics that accompanied them remain excellent even today.

p.

Among the Werras, only the Werramat has been mentioned. For almost totally uncluttered design, the Werra 1 takes the prize. Choose green or black.

Among the Alpas, the Standard, the Prisma and the 9f may perhaps appeal more to those who regard the Alneas and the 10-11 series as lumpy.

p.

I thought the ALPA Prisma I found a new home for last year was one of the most nicely finished cameras I'd ever held, it had beautiful chrome plating and was trimmed in real Moroccan leather. It's a historically interesting camera as well. It was one of the earlier SLRs to feature an integral pentaprism. Unlike other pioneers such as the Contax S it also has a mirror which, whilst not instant return in the modern sense, will nevertheless return for viewing when the photographer's finger is lifted from the release button, and not only when the film is advanced. It also has a mirror lift lever. This was undoubtedly fitted to permit the standard collapsible lenses supplied with the Prisma (and the previous Reflex model) to be retracted without damaging the reflex mirror by first lifting the mirror before stowing the lens. But it also serves as a mirror lock up, because the mirror can be fixed in the raised position, and the shutter and film advance safely actuated with the mirror lifted. I personally verified these functions with the example I had here for a few months.

Despite the visual and technical appeal of such a beautifully made camera, and a hybrid design, at that, the earliest ALPA models descended from the war time prototypes Bolsky conceived don't have the best reputation for reliability. And I'm not convinced many of the lenses available in the small bayonet mount fitted to the ALPA 1-3 were a great deal, if any better than those fitted to Eg Exakta or Contax SLRs, unlike some of those available for the later 35mm ALPAs, which I've found good enough to warrant perservering with the unusual ergonomics of the camera bodies they fit. Because I really, really wanted a hybrid ALPA I did consider making an offer on the Prisma, and would have loved to keep it, if only for display and very occasional use, however I opted for an Alnea 7 which, although not nearly as beautiful as the Prisma, will take a range of more desirable lenses plus various adapters for third party mounts if needed. Visually the Prisma is still the winner for me, though.
Cheers,
Brett

33049041080_5a5534b88d_b.jpg

I agree that the Prisma is reasonably proportioned, and the mirror is rapid-enough-return, but the 45 degree view needs getting used to.

I have kept my Prisma and the rest of the Alpas stowed away in a secure place for quite a while. Westlicht never replied to an offer to sell the lot. maybe they wanted to cherry-pick.

p.

Actually, I think the Fuji X-T20 is a very nice looking camera! The styling kinda reminds me of the Pentax MX (on the right, lower photo) but the Fuji is a bit smaller. It's a very nice carry-around shooter camera.

85552-t201118-c.jpg

cams10917-36293604353-o-c.jpg

The Wirgin Edixa Reflex is my prettiest SLR.

42067000342_ce029e0157_c.jpg

Rangefinder? Kodak Retina IIa

19787515555_b6582e6708_c.jpg

TLR is an easy choice.

40501973702_6a6a9c373b_c.jpg

I particularly like the Kodak Retina rangefinder pictured in you thread. But the one I absolutely adore is the Retina rangefinder with the 80mm add on component. I think it is both beautiful and impressive.

iiibigc35.bak.jpg

Pretty cameras? Worn black paint. Leica M, Nikon F & F2 with plain pentaprism, pentax spotmatic. Rarely do we see very worn Pentax 67. Love the look of worn mahogany field cameras like the Deardorff. Maybe an Ebony in decades to come. Fatif & the black Toyo 810MII. Kodak Bantam Special. Rolleiflex Art Deco. ......just off the top of my head.
DSCN5837 by Greg
, on Flickr

Actually, I think the Fuji X-T20 is a very nice looking camera! The styling kinda reminds me of the Pentax MX (on the right, lower photo) but the Fuji is a bit smaller. It's a very nice carry-around shooter camera....

The Fujis with the pseudo prism hump have always reminded me of the Contax SLRs from the Kyocera/Yashica days. Very handsome designs. Damn fine picture-takers as well.

Back