Minolta LTM Rokkor 8.5cm ltm coupling with Canon VL?

Minolta M39 screw mount bodies/lenses

Ariz10

Local time
4:20 AM
Hi everyone,

I recently picked up a canon VL and would like to find a suitable 85mm lens for it. I found an external viewfinder for a reasonable price. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Rokkor Chiyoda 8.5cm L39 lens here? The external finder I got a hold of has a ball bearing that pairs to the canon VL. Would the Rokkor be able to couple with the rangefinder mechanism in the viewfinder? Thanks in advance!

I have this lens- it is somewhat uncommon outside of Japan. It coupled perfectly on cameras using the Leica 39mm standard mount, including the Canon VL. I have the VT deluxe.

The Minolta lens used 40mm filters and accessories, like many Canon lenses.

This is on my M9- I find this lens easy to focus on a moving subject.

L1012608.jpg

I have this lens- it is somewhat uncommon outside of Japan. It coupled perfectly on cameras using the Leica 39mm standard mount, including the Canon VL. I have the VT deluxe.

The Minolta lens used 40mm filters and accessories, like many Canon lenses.

This is on my M9- I find this lens easy to focus on a moving subject.

View attachment 4819596
Thank you for your response and for sharing your experience! Great that you’ve had a good time shooting with this lens. I am not familiar enough with camera technology to know how lenses communicate with the external viewfinder in this case. Will try to hunt an example down to try!

This lens has a circular ring at the back of the mount that moves as the lens is focused. That ring known as an RF Cam, which pushes against an "RF Pickup" or "RF Follower" in the camera body. This is how the lens transmits distance information to the camera, which moves the Rangefinder to allow you to focus. All mechanical.

Back