...Santa Fe and New Mexico...

Too many photos to choose from, as I've been working on my 'Mapping the West' project for the last 8 years out there. I'll limit it to a few - some may not necessarily be what you'd first think of as being 'New Mexico', but it's what has caught my attention:

Shiprock
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Blast Off
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Jim and Harvest
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

The Lettuce Thinners
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Perry
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Hope
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Estancia
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Roads Less Traveled #1
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

We Do It The Old Way
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Queen of the Hill
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Casey, Postmaster, Tremontina NM
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Day of the Dead
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Curtis
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

The Eyes of Dr Eckleburg
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Reservation #2
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

A few more - don't mean to bombard you!

Wild Horses
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Mark
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Shelly
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Roswell1
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Hwy. 47
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Untitled (With Apologies to Bernd and Hilla)
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Bound for Glory #2
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Rockin' Down the Highway
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Jerry
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Rio Grande Gorge
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Untitled
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Paradise
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

John Pete1
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

And one from Los Cerillos:

Santa Fe 21 by Daniel Ingram, on Flickr

Daniel,

Nice to see a fellow Hoosier here. I lived in Santa Fe for a couple of years. Its too bad that you missed out on meeting Mary Mora in Cerrillos. She owned the bar visible in your photo further down the road. She died in 2016 about a few months before her 100th birthday!

marys-bar11.jpg

Daniel,

Nice to see a fellow Hoosier here. I lived in Santa Fe for a couple of years. Its too bad that you missed out on meeting Mary Mora in Cerrillos. She owned the bar visible in your photo further down the road. She died in 2016 about a few months before her 100th birthday!

marys-bar11.jpg
Hi Chris -- I admire your photography a lot. It is too bad I missed Mary -- she looks like an incredible person! Cerillos was pretty much closed the day I was there in 2017, but it fascinated me. I could spend a whole day shooting in and around that town, and next time I'm in NM I will. I look forward to seeing more of your Fort Wayne work!

Dan

Damn Vince, this is a book all in itself. Every one is just wonderful.

Many thanks -- People have been bugging me to do some kind of book with these images, but I haven't gotten around to figuring it out. Maybe after I've gone out there another 10 or so times I'll look into doing one. I've actually been chosen for a 5-week Artist in Residence program in Carrizozo, NM for January-February 2021, so hopefully I'll be able to develop a deeper understanding of New Mexico.

I try to strike a balance between photographing 'things' and 'tableaux' and photographing people. This past trip (last month) was unique in that I got to spend 9 days on a farm just south of Las Cruces as well as on a very large farm east of El Paso. It was a very different experience than what I normally do out there, which is basically wandering around the state and finding whatever I find. I'm hoping to go back to Las Cruces at the end of November for the pecan harvest.

Bob from Claunch
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Estella's Cafe
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Untitled
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Jesus is Watching You
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Untitled
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Santa Rosa5
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Bound for Glory #3
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Driving My Life Away
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Home on the Range #3
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

John
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Cecilio - Wagon Mound, NM
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Carrizozo3
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Yamato
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

José
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Raimundo
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Daniel,

marys-bar11.jpg

Nice shot of Mary, Chris. I've been by that bar numerous times, but have never gone in. I have a bunch of friends in the Madrid-Cerrillos area, and I'm sure they knew Mary well.

NM prints

NM prints

Apart from adding my pleasure viewing the outstanding photographs themselves, let me say that these as a whole are some of the best technical prints I've ever seen. Just impressive. If you have been working at this for ten years and cannot get over the hump of getting ready to publish, please consider letting a publisher contribute an editor to manage the process and go back to shooting more photos.

Moving body of work Vince.

Is that 2021 in Carrizozo? Not 2020? I get by there a few times a year on my way to ABQ. I'll buy you a cup of coffee.

Chip
Many thanks -- People have been bugging me to do some kind of book with these images, but I haven't gotten around to figuring it out. Maybe after I've gone out there another 10 or so times I'll look into doing one. I've actually been chosen for a 5-week Artist in Residence program in Carrizozo, NM for January-February 2021, so hopefully I'll be able to develop a deeper understanding of New Mexico.

Moving body of work Vince.

Is that 2021 in Carrizozo? Not 2020? I get by there a few times a year on my way to ABQ. I'll buy you a cup of coffee.

Yes January-February 2021. From January 1 thru February 5th. It’s likely to culminate in some kind of show in the gallery there of what I’ve done during that time. I’ll be bringing out my big computer, printer and all matting/framing supplies. It’s exactly the time I wanted to be there, so it should be an interesting experience. I look forward to our cup of coffee!

Back