Leica LTM Show off your Leica I/II/III/LTM Camera

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
I found the answer to my own question. From Leica Manual, 15th Edition, 1973...

"Minor improvements were introduced in February 1929: the shutter-release button, which up to then had a spherical top, was replaced by a flat-topped release with a threaded base…. The new release button was depressed automatically when the rewind lever was set on “R.”"

The implication is, that before this the shutter release had to be held down during rewinding. And I'd never previously noticed that turning the rewind to R depresses the shutter release, But it's true!
Malcolm,

The 1928 instruction book on the Butkus web site states: move the lever from A to R, keep the shutter button pressed down, turn the reversing milled head...

It's a new one on me, but...

Bill

A bowel-loosening moment. Luckily I had the camera in my hand at the time, or it would have been catastrophic. The strap, although a bit creased and cracked after 96 years, looked reasonably sound. It came apart with minimal force.

DSC_8803.JPG

I finally found an elmar to match my Leica I (?). The camera appears to be 1931 and the lens 1934. So a pretty close match. I'm am not too happy with the lens hood though. It is a bit big for the lens.

Attachments

• IMG_20231029_104700064.jpg
    IMG_20231029_104700064.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 11
I finally found an elmar to match my Leica I (?). The camera appears to be 1931 and the lens 1934. So a pretty close match. I'm am not too happy with the lens hood though. It is a bit big for the lens.
I agree on the lens hood. What is nice is the compact size of the rig without it. I wear a baseball cap when shooting and use it for a lens hood.

Kind have been bitten by the Barnack bug lately. Pictured are my Zorki 1E, Leotax F and a IIIC I just got.

Found a seller on Facebook marketplace selling 5 Barnacks (4 IIICs and 1 IIIF) that was a family members and in storage for a while. Got them to ship one of them to me as I've wanted a Barnack if I could find one at a reasonable price. Though its going to need a CLA, slow speeds are having issues and 1/1000 does not seem to work correctly and the rangefinder patch is a little bit dim. Running through the speeds, it seems to be getting better...

I am kind of surprised that the Leotax is heavier and a little bit larger. Just handling both, build quality seem to be very close. One thing I like about the IIIC is the manual exposure counter has nice clicks to it. The Leotax's is a bit rough to use, though maybe it needs to be opened to check? But the Leotax was a random ebay purchase from Japan and it looks like the viewfinder has been cleaned and the shutter curtain is new. I am not sure how I feel about the spacing of the viewfinder and the rangefinder on the IIIC, it is a lot closer than the Leotax, and harder to view

Attachments

• PB220812.JPG
    PB220812.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 30
  • PB220813.JPG
    PB220813.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 28

Top is IIc painted by @splitimageview. Bottom is an If I might have painted anti panda style.
I saw that IIc on Reddit earlier - looks stunning. Really nice finish.

Out of curiosity, why is one of the accessory shoes on your If "flipped"? Took me a second to realise why it looked so weird!

I found a finder for my 9cm Elmar
DSC5779.jpg

Back