ShPhotosots taken with the Nikonos camera series

maddoc

... likes film again.
Local time
11:41 AM
I recently acquired a Nikonos V with the W-Nikkor 35/2.5 lens. This camera is scale focus and therefore focus is a little hit or miss but I like the results I got so far. From what I remember the Nikonos has gained some popularity so I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread were we can share photos taken with the Nikonos camera series, under water or not. :)

Fujifilm Natura1600

by Gabor Samjeske, on Flickr

DELTA3200 (1600 E.I.)

by Gabor Samjeske, on Flickr

The shipwreck "America," off the coast of Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior. I took this about 20 years back. A serendipity pic. I was in my kayak, and had a general idea of where the "America" was. I stuck my Nikonos underwater and hit the shutter. On Ektachrome film, if I remember correctly.

sunkenboat.jpg

Jim B.

That came out very good! Keep them coming!:)

The shipwreck "America," off the coast of Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior. I took this about 20 years back. A serendipity pic. I was in my kayak, and had a general idea of where the "America" was. I stuck my Nikonos underwater and hit the shutter. On Ektachrome film, if I remember correctly.

Jim B.

One more from this past June. Again, on Isle Royale. Ektar 100. My Nikonos 5 is my standard kayak camera.

IR1a.jpg

Jim B.

Nice Jim, I like the colors. For this kind of outdoor activities the Nikonos is one of the best cameras, IMO.

Keep them coming!

I used to love my Nikonos 5 - it is really what got me into photography having first been a diver and using my Nikonos around New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Pelau, Truk etc. Its built like a truck and the standard 35mm lens performs quite well despite its scale focusing. One of the things I always loved about this camera (oddly) was the way it smelled - all rubbery and like silicone grease which brought back holiday memories whenever I smelled it.

Bought a Nikonos IV a couple of months ago. After using it for a couple of rolls the meter stopped working...

Been experimenting with exposures underwater in rivers. Guessing bulb exposures now due to meter failure.

Here's one with the 15mm f/2.8 Nikkor::

nikonos-8324ss.jpg

Very cool effect.

Bought a Nikonos IV a couple of months ago. After using it for a couple of rolls the meter stopped working...

Been experimenting with exposures underwater in rivers. Guessing bulb exposures now due to meter failure.

Here's one with the 15mm f/2.8 Nikkor::

Sounds you have some fond memories of the Nikonos 5 having you accompanied on many trips. It would be great to see some photos from those trips1

I used to love my Nikonos 5 - it is really what got me into photography having first been a diver and using my Nikonos around New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Pelau, Truk etc. Its built like a truck and the standard 35mm lens performs quite well despite its scale focusing. One of the things I always loved about this camera (oddly) was the way it smelled - all rubbery and like silicone grease which brought back holiday memories whenever I smelled it.

Thanks. I had my focus real close because I was thinking the 15mm focuses past infinity due to being designed for submerged use, but I've since realized I had it backwards and I should have it at infinity and stopped way down to get the most DOF above water. Need to try again. Also my friend's tripod was in the shot above and didn't realize it at the time :).

I see crawdads in the river often, would be cool to catch one on the rocks underwater! But the exposure time is 10-15 seconds so it'd have to be real still...

Or you could try to push Tri-X way to the limit or use DELTA3200? I like the idea of bringing the Nikonos to hiking trips in the future. Also I found that the AE metering works very well.

Sounds you have some fond memories of the Nikonos 5 having you accompanied on many trips. It would be great to see some photos from those trips1

Thanks I will have to find them (in a box somewhere in the garage) and then scan them. I will see what I can do. many of the shots above water were made with this camera too - it was particularly useful in the jungle rain forest where everything was wet, hot and deadly to normal photo gear.

EDIT: On reflection I remember that the majority of the shots at the following link were made with it on the sailing ship Eye of the Wind when sailing around New Guinea and the Solomon Islands. The photo on the first page is me helming the ship as a sail trainee member of the crew (and lots more photos inside). Fun days. http://www.tallshipstales.de/80s/Sailing_Solomons.php

Thanks Peter for the link! Interesting journey on a tall ship! I especially like the photos of the Toa Maru!

Thanks I will have to find them (in a box somewhere in the garage) and then scan them. I will see what I can do. many of the shots above water were made with this camera too - it was particularly useful in the jungle rain forest where everything was wet, hot and deadly to normal photo gear.

EDIT: On reflection I remember that the majority of the shots at the following link were made with it on the sailing ship Eye of the Wind when sailing around New Guinea and the Solomon Islands. The photo on the first page is me helming the ship as a sail trainee member of the crew (and lots more photos inside). Fun days. http://www.tallshipstales.de/80s/Sailing_Solomons.php

Back