Summaron 35/2.8 vs LLL 35mm 8 element

Others at RFF paid around $500 or so for the 35/2 LLL replica of the 8 element Summicron M lens.
Then the prices shot up for LLL lenses.

Others at RFF paid around $500 or so for the 35/2 LLL replica of the 8 element Summicron M lens.
Then the prices shot up for LLL lenses.
The final payment ($500+shippment, tax) should be around $650-700. Canon 35mmf2 is an excellent LTM lens at the half cost. LLL's business model is unusual due to a small scale production.

The final payment ($500+shippment, tax) should be around $650-700. Canon 35mmf2 is an excellent LTM lens at the half cost. LLL's business model is unusual due to a small scale production.
The current price for the LLL 8 element is circa $1100 USD .....depending on which finish and which mount.....

The current price for the LLL 8 element is circa $1100 USD .....depending on which finish and which mount.....
I was talking about the initial offer at here which I think the price is acceptable. The current Popflash price, I consider as over priced. I have the original 1st version, I ordered a MC version try to compare, but LLL never deliver so does Professor Raid's naked brass version - he has to rubber off the paint to get what he initial ordered.

I was talking about the initial offer at here which I think the price is acceptable. The current Popflash price, I consider as over priced. I have the original 1st version, I ordered a MC version try to compare, but LLL never deliver so does Professor Raid's naked brass version - he has to rubber off the paint to get what he initial ordered.
I wanted the brass version but I was then told that it was unclear when or if a brass version would ever be made.

That wasn't clear in your post. Raid changed his order if i remember correctly. Huss, who was here at the time did ultimately get a naked brass one. The whole affair was a real gong show...... only placated by getting a well centred lens in black paint for $500 IMO

the optical factory LLL used should be a decent facility judged by the photos they posted. They must use different supply chains for other components. The tolerance, assembly et al all affect the final products. I think the initial QC is hit or miss like these from USSR. I Will recommend canon 35mm f2 for the OP can be used on both M and LTM, sometime can be have for $300-400.

Last edited:
If it's the same price, I'd just get the ƒ/2 lens. I'm with Erik on this. I usually use lenses stopped down for the depth of field, but another stop allows you spend more time taking pictures as the light fades. And I like spending time taking pictures.

BTW LLL did not copy the finer focusing helical thread of 1st version, which will be difficult and costly to make, so I disagree to call it replica, the knock off would be a better description, however, Prof Raid may disagree.

BTW LLL did not copy the finer focusing helical thread of 1st version, which will be difficult and costly to make, so I disagree to call it replica, the knock off would be a better description, however, Prof Raid may disagree.
I don't think the word replica has been used in this thread. Regardless of what you call it, it's a good lens...when it was $500.

I am not an optics expert . I use lenses and I get a good feeling on many lenses.
LLL tried to make it a replica. Did they succeed?

Back