Take the shot when you see it

I’ll go a little farther and say you have to isolate yourself emotionally from certain things you photograph. No matter how I feel about some of the subjects I’ve photographed I always isolate myself and visualize myself looking through a large glass window. I don’t interact in what’s happening, I’m only there to record the event in an HONEST manner and not bias my images with my personal feelings.

I started my career in college in the 60’s as a photojournalist and covered some pretty ugly events.

See below. I’m in no way a part of these groups and do not believe in their philosophy or tactics but tried to remain inert in the process as though I were watching through a window.

Whether you like these people or not they’re historically important and hopefully we’ve learned something but I’m not sure.

I probably should have separated the neo nazis from the klan because they’re opposite ends of the hate spectrum. A few years earlier they would have been killing each other but due to financial troubles there was an attempt to merge the groups about 15 years ago. I believe their attempts failed. Fortunately the groups are fractured and small in numbers now.

The klan images were from 1971 and the nazis from 2005.

I find it hard not to be affected by people I shoot. The folks in the bakery were just wonderful, Mexico at its finest. Baja is a special place. And I would be revulsed by the Klan and the Neo-Nazis. If I were there I would try to be superficially dispassionate. But I would come away with a strong distaste. OTOH we are looking at ourselves. These extreme groups did not come here on a flying saucer. Like it or not they are us. And while not many of us would be active in either group we all have the ability to be part of the group. A mob is a terrible thing and a skilled hater can whip up a crowd. Any skilled speaker can move us.

There is the instance of Ben Franklin who went to skeptically attend the preaching of a renowned preacher of his era. I forget the name. Franklin resolved to give the man nothing, to pass the plate by him without contribution. Halfway through the man's sermon Franklin resolved to put just the coppers in his pocket in the plate when it came by. Later he resolved to also put in the silver. When the plate eventually did pass before him Franklin emptied his pockets into the plate. So as this example shows any of us can be swayed even when we don't want to be. Luckily most of us are not swayed by those who preach evil. But some are and they are not Martians. Like it or not they are human just like us, just despicable humans exercising their rights as abhorrent as they are. And as such they teach us what we should not be.

Cameras are great learning tools for the photographer and teaching tools for the audience.

And I will trundle my soapbox back into the closet and have a nice cup of tea.

Cheers

I’ll go a little farther and say you have to isolate yourself emotionally from certain things you photograph. No matter how I feel about some of the subjects I’ve photographed I always isolate myself and visualize myself looking through a large glass window. I don’t interact in what’s happening, I’m only there to record the event in an HONEST manner and not bias my images with my personal feelings.

I started my career in college in the 60’s as a photojournalist and covered some pretty ugly events.
At first I wondered why you had to say that you isolate yourself emotionally from certain subjects, then I saw the images. Okay, I get it now. That's harsh stuff.

It can be difficult to shoot something when there is an emotional bias, but as you say, it can be necessary as a historical document. There have been times in my documentary work that I've shied away from shooting someone having an emotional moment, out of respect for their upset. But these are the moments which can make all the difference in impact, so now I just shoot as discreetly and respectfully as possible, then ask later if they are okay with those moments being shared publicly.

I believe the saying, 'pics or it didn't happen' when it comes to important events, so I strive to make sure things are recorded in an appropriate manner.

See below. I’m in no way a part of these groups and do not believe in their philosophy or tactics but tried to remain inert in the process as though I were watching through a window.

Whether you like these people or not they’re historically important and hopefully we’ve learned something but I’m not sure.

I probably should have separated the neo nazis from the klan because they’re opposite ends of the hate spectrum. A few years earlier they would have been killing each other but due to financial troubles there was an attempt to merge the groups about 15 years ago. I believe their attempts failed. Fortunately the groups are fractured and small in numbers now.

The klan images were from 1971 and the nazis from 2005.
Excellent work. Thank you for doing it.

Back