Leica LTM Take up spool Leica IIIa

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses

Ronald_H

Don't call me Ron
Local time
10:15 PM
Hi all,

It has been years since I posted here, but I have a question about the take up spool of my 1935 Leica IIIa. I noticed that the film passes the gate at a slight angle. Of course you can't see that in camera, but it is obvious from the negatives. The images are not parallel to the film. Is this a take up spool issue? Maybe in its long life a wrong spool was installed? I found some reference to differences between spools for early and late screw mount Leicas but nothing conclusive.

Traditionally a problem with the position of images on the film is blamed on the type of cassette. There are plenty of threads most relating to the sprocket holes cutting into the image.

This is one of the 'old chestnuts' much like how to load an ltm camera etc etc. I'll leave others to chime in, I'm too old for all the excitement.

Lots of threads on RFF regarding issue. Here are several if you haven't already visited these threads:

Short answer; It's the feeding film cassette that's to blame.
Current day 35mm film cartridges are a little shorter than the FILCA
Easily fixed by putting a little padding in the ring in the camera base where the cassette sits.

The UI has changed considerably since my last visit. I did try to search but to no avail. I have my answer now, thanks.

All the take-up spools of the Leica standard up to and including the IIIf should be interchangeable as far as I know.
I have used a 1950s SVOOP spring-loaded take-up spool in my Leica I (model C) without any issue.

Also, if the film is seated all the way when loading, the film pressure plate should, theoretically, keep it aligned in the film guide rails at the back of the shutter crate.

It is an old (literally) beater I got for little money. Had it CLA'd and put a cheap but clean Jupiter-8 on it. Despite all this, the results are stellar, and it is quite a bit smaller and lighter than my M2. Plus it draws attention like you wouldn't believe.

It is an old (literally) beater I got for little money. Had it CLA'd and put a cheap but clean Jupiter-8 on it. Despite all this, the results are stellar, and it is quite a bit smaller and lighter than my M2. Plus it draws attention like you wouldn't believe.
If you really like a light Leica, you might want to try a 50mm collapsible lens. Unless you need the f/2 speed, you can manage fine outdoors in daylight. I've shot 3 Elmars, 2 Industars, a Fed and a Shanghai 50mm f/3.5 collapsible and have been happy with them all. The size makes them worth the compromise. And a collapsible lens will even draw more attention.

Also, if the film is seated all the way when loading, the film pressure plate should, theoretically, keep it aligned in the film guide rails at the back of the shutter crate.
Sadly, that very much isn't the case.

Also, at some point in the IIIf's production, the baseplate was altered slightly to include a guide that supported the film, holding it in the right position... only on my IIIf, that doesn't work.

I basically only use FILCAs in any Leica other than my IIIg (which takes the modern cassettes without issue). Bulk loading is considerably cheaper anyway - no skin off my nose!

I have a Standard, a lll, a lllf, and a lllg and I have never had this problem with a standard cassette. Am I just incredibly lucky?

Back