Tanack LTM Tanack V-3 camera with Tanar 1.5

Tanack M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses

goamules

Well-known
Local time
3:17 PM
This weekend I picked up a very rare Tanack V-3 rangefinder with a Tanaka Kōgaku 50mm 1.5 lens. It is mint in box, with the original receipts and hang tags, and a mint leather case. I couldn't believe how good condition it's in.

These cameras had a lot of innovations over a Leica Barnack. The camera was very easy to load, with the full sized swinging back. The combined viewfinder is large and bright, and the rangefinder patch is easy to see. The winding lever is silky smooth, and makes for fast shooting. Compared to a Nicca lever wind, this camera is smaller and lighter. It's basically a pocketable IIIC sized camera, with a lever wind, single rangefinder window with brightline markings, and swing open back.

The Tanar 50/1.5 lens was an added surprise. I thought the camera would have the 2.0 version, and am happy to have another Sonnar type to compare to my Nikkor 1.4s, Canon 1.5, J-3. It has click stops, and smooth focus. The lens seems smaller and lighter than the others, except the Jupiter. I took a couple shots on my adapted Fuji X-E1, and they look sharp with a Sonnar signature. Again, I'll post pics when I can.

11038644_863045740408170_7442084201276774665_o.jpg

The Tanacks are great LTM copies. I haven't seen this version before. i've got one with a knob wind. The swing-open back door and combined viewfinder/rangefinder is a great help. I've got the f2 50mm lens, which is really one of my favorite 50s. Enjoy your camera!

So Where's the unboxing video with gloves treatment? :D Hahaha

More of an improvement rather than a copy!! Great find!

The lens is actually a DG rather than Sonnar. It has a sig simialr to the summarit 50mm f1.5. I've never seen one in the barrel yours lives in.
Here's one from mine old one.

L1000118 by Adnan W, on Flickr

Oops....Semi senior moment. :eek:

My lens was the Leotax Simlar 50mm f1.5 which is a DG.
I've sold it some time ago but did enjoy it's unique character.
Enjoy your new lens :)

The answer is both. Tanaka Optical made the camera with their own, new, bayonet mount, but realized they would not have enough compatibility with Leica Thread Mount lenses, so they sold the cameras with an included adapter. No lenses were ever made in their proprietary mount, they made them in LTM. In practice, you can change lenses faster, but you'd need more adapters!

Back