The Jupiter-12 picture gallery

Shooting with the CV35 on my Bessa R as of late has had me thinking
about my much neglected J-12 on my Zorki 2s. Now I have the incentive to shoot it. Here are a couple oldies shot with my lens.

And a few more...

Faster, We Go Faster

FED-2, Ferrania Solaris 100

Burgerville USA

Canon P, Legacy Pro 100

Frenchman's Bar

Canon P, Legacy Pro 100

Tie-Fighters and Death Star...Street Style

Anarchist Cat

Steve

Five more and that is all for today...

The Obvious As Art

Where To Go

Literate Graffiti

Atlantis, From the Rear

My Sacred Heart is Closed...

Steve

Coldkennels, I've got the two versions of the J-8 and they both take a 40.5 mm screw on lens hood. You get cheap and cheerful chinese ones from ebay sellers like heavystar. It screws on the front aperture ring of the lens.

I'm aware of this - the issue is that the lens hood screws on, but then the LTM lens cannot focus. The body jams up against the "shoulder" of the hood as you focus towards the close-end of the scale. It's a bit annoying, to say the least. I need a hood that doesn't obstruct the focusing mechanism.

I use a heavystar 40.5mm(W) hood on both my Kiev/Contax J-12 and my LTM version with no problem. My LTM version works the same as Coldkennels' with the focus ring moving forward relative to the lens front with close focus. The hood has sufficient bevel to clear on my lenses. That being said, I know there are slight dimensional differences between J-12 versions. Both of mine are LZOS and were made in 1980 and 1982 respectively.

Steve

I can't put a hood on the LTM mount one, but I can on the Kiev one. The LTM one is built so that the whole body of the lens moves forward and back while the front element seems to stay still, meaning the body butts up against any hood that I mount. Is anyone else's like that? And if so, has anyone found a hood that fits?
Put a filter on first, that will space it enough. :D

You might get vignetting if the hood isn't "wide" enough, of course. Personally, I've not found a hood necessary on the J-12 but I've seen enough people say it flares.

Put a filter on first, that will space it enough. :D

You might get vignetting if the hood isn't "wide" enough, of course. Personally, I've not found a hood necessary on the J-12 but I've seen enough people say it flares.
I get very mild flares on my LTM version - not so much as to make it unusable, but enough that it annoys me on the rare occasion they do appear.

But the Kiev mount one is bloody atrocious, particularly in the corners:

It's strange: the glass (on both ends) is completely immaculate, so I don't know why it would be so much more prone to flaring. Thankfully, I have a small hood designed for a 50mm that fits and only gives the tiniest amount of vignetting, and it completely stops the flaring dead. But I'd like to get a proper wide-angle hood that fits both; as it stands, I can't use a filter on the Kiev mount one at all. A filter and no hood means horrible flaring, filter + hood means really obtrusive vignetting. :bang:

It's strange: the glass (on both ends) is completely immaculate, so I don't know why it would be so much more prone to flaring.
Check the black paint around the rear element on them, if it's knocked about or missing that can cause problems. Matt black acrylic paint will do a good job, if it's needed. Maybe I'm just more careful without thinking about it, because I know of the issue and so don't get flaring. Maybe I'm just lucky!

Gotta love that Ferrania!!

Anarchist Bookstore

Tree Facade

Tree Facade, v.2

Wrenches From China

Steve

I get very mild flares on my LTM version - not so much as to make it unusable, but enough that it annoys me on the rare occasion they do appear.

But the Kiev mount one is bloody atrocious, particularly in the corners...

I have had similar problems, but only with my LTM copy and only on my FED-2. It is visible in a few of the images of my posts to this thread. I figured that it was a light-leak issue of some sort.

Steve

Very nice set steve!

I do not think my sample of the J12 in kiev mount flare like that. But it is an early one with a metal ring at the back, like the Zeiss Biogon : http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=983287&postcount=25 Mine is from 1952; perhaps it has still German glass in it?

With a Contax II :

by s81h, on Flickr

by s81h, on Flickr

A little flare on the second picture, but I was pushing it a bit, without hood and against the light.

Good shots, Sam. I think the scans look fine, but I found out a while back that CVS will scan hi-res (?) at no extra charge. You have only to ask.

Thanks, Vic. I have asked them multiple times, regular lab workers and their "Kodak certified" supervisor, and every time my request was declined, reason being: machine scans with set resolution, that can't be changed.
So, i had to get my own scanner, and now they only develop C41 film for me. They also refuse to do xpro slide film.

I have J12 for Zorki/fed and for Kiev and LTM one flares a lot. I don't remember about the other one. Speaking of which, I will have to use J12 on Kiev or Contax body. I have been using 35/1.8 W Nikkor or 35/2.8 Biogon lately.

I suspect Wolves is right. I'll have to get hold of some black paint (aside: easier said than done. My town seems to be completely devoid of everything other than shops selling badly manufactured clothes and computer games. What is going on with this world?) and see if it improves the flaring issue at all.

And the last of the bunch...time to go out shooting again!

Red Bands

Canon P, Ferrania Solaris 100

Lost in the Tunes

Hot Dog Cart

Roseland Posters

Sisters of the Road

Remember I Love You

Ferrania Sunset

...now where is that flare?
Click through for more information on the photos.
Next time, I think I may load a higher quality film...I have a good supply of Ektar 100...;)

Steve

...now where is that flare?

Cropped off. ;)

No, they're brilliant photos, and your LTM one is obviously akin to mine. Honestly, for how little the lens costs, it's a shockingly good performer. Nay-sayers be damned. Proof's in the pudding, and all that.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I realise it's responsible for some of my personal favourite photos, including this one:

Overlooking Durgan, Cornwall by Coldkennels, on Flickr

The day I finally figure out how to get the perfect wet print of this and do an immaculate 8x10 is the day I die happy.

I think it's in the upper right corner:D

You are so right. What surprised me is that it was totally absent from the sunset shot. Not even a hint of iris outline (shot was taken at f/11). I was expecting a total disaster and almost did not take the shot. Boy was I surprised.

Steve

Back