Nicca / Tower LTM tower ( nicca ) leverwind cameras leica screw

Nicca / Tower M39 screw mount bodies

enasniearth

Well-known
Local time
3:10 PM
i have a lever wind tower camera in leica screwmount made by nicca for sears . anyone had experience with this model? it is very well made , the rf is bright and rose colored . shutter is 500 top speed all works includeing slow speeds . i dont have the nikkor lens .

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 0
A Nicca 3F. I think that this was marketed through Sears stores as the Tower 3F. Very well made dependable cameras, often still function well at 50+ years without a CLA. These are often found without a lens because someone snatched the Nikkor, and sold the body.

I have one like this and it was sold as a Tower 48. My viewfinder is a bit cloudy but the sound of the shutter is strong. I got it on Ebay with a Nikkor 50f2.0 + case and it is one of my favorite cameras. Later I may get the viewfinder cleaned but now I can use it without hesitation.

I saw somewhere just yesterday being called something else, maybe a Nicca 3f which made me think it might be something else. What I like is the wind arm and not having to twist the knob.
Joe

Tower Nicca 3F

Tower Nicca 3F

I have one also, like yours came without lens. The body is in +++ condition and all speeds are on the button. I have used it several times and it couples nicely with a Canon 1.8 or Jupiter 2 lens. Mine came with a half case (the better half .My s/n is 50628 but I don't know its age.

I had (and sold!) a Tower 3F with a lever wind and a top hinged back, like the Leica M-camera's.

Just now, I've had a look around the internet, but I cannot find any trace of that model anywhere.

Maybe it was a proototype model, kinda sad I sold it every now and then, especially now :(

I had (and sold!) a Tower 3F with a lever wind and a top hinged back, like the Leica M-camera's.

Just now, I've had a look around the internet, but I cannot find any trace of that model anywhere.

Maybe it was a prototype model, kinda sad I sold it every now and then, especially now :(

The lever wind Tower with the M style hinged back was the (Nicca 5L) Tower 45/46, not the last version of the Tower 3-F

HU: Tower 46 for sale on ebay!

HU: Tower 46 for sale on ebay!

There's a Tower 46 on sale on ebay now, lever wind, top hinged back like the Leica M's and a Nikkor 50/2.0 on it, 14 hours to go and price still is very decent.

I have been eyeing it for five days now but my money is elsewhere, so one of you should have it.

Ebay sale number 230452014790

good luck!

HU: Tower leverwind backdoor IIIc copy

HU: Tower leverwind backdoor IIIc copy

Another Tower IIIc copy for sale on eBay.

No link to seller. Get it while you can. A IIIc copy with an M3 style wind lever and back door. This model has a 1/1000th top speed.

I once owned one of these and it is every bit as good as a true IIIc, but easy as an M3 to use. Highly recommended!

Last edited:
Apparently somebody really liked the camera mentioned earlier in this thread: USD 440 final price :eek: Only USD 255 for the matching Nikkor 50/2.0 LTM... :eek:

Anybody here get either one of those?

I have a Tower 45/46. Maybe the best of the screwmount Leica copies. I've always been partial to Niccas.

Here is a 3-F I picked up a while back:

3815673776_9328a569c0_o.jpg

More pics: http://bit.ly/bZnuea

i have a lever wind tower camera in leica screwmount made by nicca for sears . anyone had experience with this model? it is very well made , the rf is bright and rose colored . shutter is 500 top speed all works includeing slow speeds . i dont have the nikkor lens .

get the book 300 Leica Copies -- well worth the price.

Stephen

That's unusual.

The 3-F models with which I'm familiar don't have removable back, lever wind, top speed of 1/500, and have much lower serial

Can anyone with knowledge of "NICCA" cameras tell me what model of Nicca camera I own.
It doesn't appear on any Nicca camera website or in any Leica copies book including Leica Copies by HPR.
It has top speed of 1/1000.
Lever wind film advance.
Leica M type removable back for easy loading.
It's late 1958 Serial No. is 161800.
It's top-plate is engraved "NICCA 3-F".
Is it a late proto-type? or is it a Nicca late edition of the Nicca 5L renamed Nicca 3-F.
Perhaps Steven Gandy, our knowledgable "Head Bartender" might know what I have.
I read his excellent review of the Nicca 5L on the Cameraquest website.

med_U43081I1502715298.SEQ.4.jpg
med_U43081I1502715527.SEQ.4.jpg
med_U43081I1502715467.SEQ.4.jpg

for the newbies, that is not a removable back
but a M3 type opening film back door.

As Barbarian points out, it seems to be a Nicca 5L with a 3F top plate.

No way to really know, but it would make no marketing sense to reinvent a new, different 3F.

More likely the factory was just being economical,
using a previously engraved 3F top plate on a 5L body
rather than tossing out the top plate.

Whether it happened by trying to save a buck, just a mistake by a new worker, or maybe they just ran out of the 5L top plates, the result is the same.
All camera companies produced hand made products in the late 50's. The goal was simply to get the product out the door and sell it ASAP.

Camera factory workers would have laughed their heads off being informed future collectors would write books on their efforts,
collect their products, and argue endlessly about minor production details!

Many thanks,Steven.
Steven,when I said "removable back" I was meaning that the back came off the camera completely when removed from the Leica M type top hinge and was not a back that opened but was held on the camera by a fixed side hinge like the Nicca 5 camera.

I also noticed this earlier post on this same thread by johannielscom

It seems that johannielscom had a copy of the same camera as I have so there might be a few of these late cameras about.

CAN ANYONE PROVIDE A PHOTO OF A NICCA 5L,ESPECIALLY THE TOP-PLATE (NOT THE TOWER VERSION) as photo's of the NICCA 5L camera do not seem to appear anywhere on the WEB. Even HPR in his "LEICA COPIES" book couldn't find an illustration, nor had seen a NICCA 5L camera.

http://corsopolaris.net/supercameras/nicca/nicca.html
There is a Nicca 5L shown on this page.
It's good that you don't need to trim the film with this camera!

More likely the factory was just being economical,
using a previously engraved 3F top plate on a 5L body
rather than tossing out the top plate.

Whether it happened by trying to save a buck, just a mistake by a new worker, or maybe they just ran out of the 5L top plates, the result is the same.
All camera companies produced hand made products in the late 50's. The goal was simply to get the product out the door and sell it ASAP.

Camera factory workers would have laughed their heads off being informed future collectors would write books on their efforts,
collect their products, and argue endlessly about minor production details!

I have a Canon L2 with metal shutter curtains though. Not sure if the curtains were replaced after factory.

Back