W/NW Gas Stations

Jay's Garage, gas and motel, Winslow Arizona
U77I1540191721.SEQ.1.jpg

Leica Q, 1.7/28mm Summilux

Doug,

I'm impressed with your Jay's Garage/Winslow pictures. Sharp, textured and colorful; you and your Leica Q really know how to bring a ghost town gas station back to life! Well done!

All the best,
Mike

Doug,

I'm impressed with your Jay's Garage/Winslow pictures. Sharp, textured and colorful; you and your Leica Q really know how to bring a ghost town gas station back to life! Well done!

All the best,
Mike

Mike, thank you for your comment. I like the Q. When I encounter such closed and deteriorated businesses I imagine the labor and expense and hopes of the (former?) owners in building it and making it a going concern, at least for a while. And then what brought it down? Sad to consider. Is there still a mortgage and taxes to pay... In this case there's clearly electric power (fluorescent light in first shot) and there appeared to be some activity in a few of the motel units, people perhaps living there.

Some sympathy comes from my own experience. I was renting a house in Seattle with option to buy. Instead of picking up the option I bought an apartment complex. Some years later I sold it, quit my day job, and bought a larger complex elsewhere in hopes it would support me in the manner I'd like to get accustomed to... Thirty-five years later I sold that one, bought a house, and retired. I will guess from the looks of his garage gas station and motel, that Jay didn't make out as well.

Electric cars have 54% market share in Norway (early 2021) and comprised 2/3 of new vehicle sales there in the last months of 2020. Traditional gas stations will change; this thread may become an interesting historical record. I think I'll start recording some of the small local gas stations for reference.

^^ Doug , years ago my wife and I stayed a night in Winslow , jeez , what a totally rundown community . Little wonder the only "statue" in town is a guy trying to hitch hike outta town :) . Was that something to do with an Eagles tune ? Peter
There were entire motels being converted to housing , kinda small homes .

...Traditional gas stations will change; this thread may become an interesting historical record. I think I'll start recording some of the small local gas stations for reference.
Like "what's a gas station, daddy?"
Seems to me it would be smart for gas stations to be putting in charging units, then that makes use of the infrastructure... the rest rooms and the mini-mart (which I gather is an important source of income), etc. But I'm seeing charging stations isolated from refueling, such as the Porsche charging at local Taco Bell, Tesla's at the side of a motel... So that may suggest we'll see many more derelict gas stations in future.

^^ Doug , years ago my wife and I stayed a night in Winslow , jeez , what a totally rundown community . Little wonder the only "statue" in town is a guy trying to hitch hike outta town :) . Was that something to do with an Eagles tune ? Peter
There were entire motels being converted to housing , kinda small homes .

I was at Winslow exactly a year ago and was surprised how built up and touristy it was compared to other old RT66 towns on that stretch of course. That Jackson Brown guy really made the town and they should give him a statue or something :) Running on empty I just stopped for gas.

Former gas station owned by Wippel family, then a coffee drive-thru and a hot-dog place.

U77I1397983411.SEQ.0.jpg

Goggled Summaron 35mm f/2.8 on M240

Back