what to use to loosen screws

JSteed#2

Established
Local time
8:58 PM
Hello my helpful forum mates
I need to give my Leicaflex a simple repair, and the repair necessitates the removal of one external and one internal screw. They have been in place for decades, and i don't want to ruin or scar them during the removal process. Please excuse my ignorance, but can i use a tab (Q-tip) of lighter fluid or a tab (Q-tip) of WD-40 applied sparingly around the screws to loosen them? If not, what can I use?
Thanks
John

Purchase some penetrating oil from the hardware store. It’s designed to do exactly what you’re trying to do. Just apply a tiny drop with a toothpick. Is the screw a Philips screw or slotted screw. If Philips get a “hollow ground” screwdriver that perfectly fits the screw. Hollow ground are ground a special way to increase the surface that makes contact with the slot in the screw. They’re much less likely to bugger the screw head than a conventional screwdriver.

Made an oops in the above post. If the screw is a slotted screw get a hollow ground flat blade screw driver to fit. If it’s a phillips get a high quality phillips screw driver to fit. Fit is very important. Be careful not to break the head off the screw. Try a drop of penetrating oil and let it sit a while. Try to break the screw free. If it doesn’t budge try another small drop. Let it sit over night for the oil to work its way into the threads. Take your time and be careful.

And another thing besides the right fit of screwdriver and the penetrating oil* -- be sure to apply steady, firm downward pressure as you attempt to turn the screw -- don't let the screwdriver slip out.

*Liquid Wrench is a well known product and does a good job.

The most important thing is to have a well fitting screwdriver. I personally like the Wera ones. When unscrewing you can usually feel if it will give or not. If not then I usually put a drop of oil and also some gentle heat maybe from a hair dryer or hot air gun on low power.

Just thinking -- the original poster didn't say whether the camera surface (or interior) appeared corroded at all. I've found that screws can readily budge, even if never removed before, as long as the camera has been well looked after. Maybe give the screws a try now (with the correct screwdriver of course). There may not be a need for penetrating oil at all. In any event, I wouldn't think more than a day or two would be needed for the oil to work.

If the screw is strongly Loc-tite’d in-place, a few drops of fingernail polish remover and the careful use of a heat gun will loosen it asap. I’ve done this many, many times (on very expensive cinema lenses). As long as you’re careful it’s a piece of cake.

Back