What's your favorite Nikon RF camera?

• Total voters

As far as I know, the S2 is the only Nikon rangefinder camera for which viewfinder correction lenses are available. These are for me very important.

Erik.

Correction lenses were available for the SP as well, but they are rare. It is also possible to easily hack Nikon EM correction lenses to fit the Nikon SP.

My favorite Nikon RF-camera is the S2, but what is your favorite lens for a Nikon RF?

Mine is the S Skopar 50mm f/2.5 wich is opically NOT for 100% the same as the Color Skopar 50mm f/2.5 for LTM. In any case is my copy much sharper. Also sharper than any 50mm Summicron or any other 50mm lens I've used. It is awesome.

NikonS2/SSkopar50mmf/2.5/TMY400/AdoxMCC110.

Erik.

48008919137_9b9775b20b_b.jpg

My favorite Nikon RF-camera is the S2, but what is your favorite lens for a Nikon RF?

Mine is the S Skopar 50mm f/2.5 wich is opically NOT for 100% the same as the Color Skopar 50mm f/2.5 for LTM. In any case is my copy much sharper. Also sharper than any 50mm Summicron or any other 50mm lens I've used.

NikonS2/SSkopar50mmf/2.5/TMY400/AdoxMCC110.

Erik.

Richard Haw's review
https://richardhaw.com/2019/06/29/r...dd,with the slow maximum aperture to match it.

I really like the many photos you've posted on this site, Erik.

This one surprised me, since I didn't fully realize the scale until I saw the young man seated at the lower right of the photo. The many geometrical shapes really make the image. Nice.

Thank you, Pál. It is an old shipyard in Amsterdam, NDSM.

About the lens, the S Skopar:
Not the slightest barrelvault or pincushion distortion and then that sharpness, incredible!

Wonderful tonality, very easy to print.

NikonS2/SSkopar50mmf/2.5/TMY400/AdoxMCC110

Erik.

48414515466_fa991c006b_b.jpg

Haw has apologized to me for making a mistake about the S Skopar 50mm f/2.5 distortion.

Erik.
Hi-- Was this statement the mistake you're referring to?
"It can exhibit a pincushion-type distortion"
If so, his illustration shows a similar small amount of pincushion distortion that mine (a Leica thread-mount version) shows. I understand you are particular about distortion and observe that your own copy of the lens does not show it... Sample variation?

Haw has apologized to me for making a mistake about the S Skopar 50mm f/2.5 distortion.
Weird :confused: The lens in either S-mount or LTM has the exact same optical cell which exhibits a minor but perceptible and measurable amount of pin-cushion distortion. Why would Rick need to apologize for that? :confused:

Hi-- Was this statement the mistake you're referring to?
"It can exhibit a pincushion-type distortion"
If so, his illustration shows a similar small amount of pincushion distortion that mine (a Leica thread-mount version) shows. I understand you are particular about distortion and observe that your own copy of the lens does not show it... Sample variation?

Sample variations are caused by assembly factors such as rangefinder calibration differences resulting in slightly differing focus points or various amounts of decentering resulting in minor differences in sharpness across the field but the distortion a lens exhibits is a factor of the optical design so there should be no difference between lenses.

I can't remember exactly how it was, (may be on YouTube) but he was repairing a Nikon S2 and he showed a picture made with the camera and the 50mm f/2.5 Voigtländer lens for Contax/Nikon. On the picture was something horribly curved and he said this was due to the distortion of the 50mm f/2.5 Voigtländer lens. I showed him a picture I took on wich it was clear that the lens only distorts very, very minor (much and much less than the Nikkor H Auto 50mm f/2) so he has apologized to me for making a mistake about the S Skopar 50mm f / 2.5 distortion.

I have both the LTM and the Nikon S versions of the lens. They are different, the Nikon version has a different coating (different colour). I will make soon some comparative photos for I have the feeling that the Nikon S version has even less distortion than the LTM version.

Erik.

This was the picture:

LeicaM2/ColorSkopar50mmf/2.5/TMY400/AdoxMCC110

(Of course a bad example because every line on this picture is curved as this railwaystation is build on a railway arch, but some lines on the bottom are pretty straight.)

48014904438_8eff808f5a_b.jpg

so he has apologized to me for making a mistake about the S Skopar 50mm f / 2.5 distortion.

Yet his blog post about the lens still states:

"It can exhibit a pincushion-type distortion but it’s not too different from the Nikkor-H.C 5cm f/2 but it looks uglier to my eyes for some reasons. I’ll admit that I expected better from this lens since it’s a recent optical design but you will have to live with it."

I will make soon comparative photos for I have the feeling that the Nikon S version has even less distortion than the LTM version.

You think your lens doesn't have any distortion. Others with the lens think it has some pin-cushion distortion. No big deal. The lens takes fine photos either way. Comparative photos seem like a waste of time. Maybe just continue to take photos normally and not worry about it?

Right now my S3 is equipped with the 10.5cm Nikkor-P. It is slowly growing to be my favorite set up. This was my first time shooting BW (HP5), developing, and scanning as well.

6kL2Q1GmYMTL0MxJMcn_01oUjOvBs9dO5FR2HW2X3jbJrXZ4n0OfkVQnBRHT5DiAeJFaxyFXfuECgQEzAwvXqrNACN4V6xC5CHAABpnNIow6uJm8GBxvL8__SeuXZgePxmosU5viBoc2vmukKsa3_ASpuP3Kq-XQBxWvxktHP0lotaRbSg2B_3jFIms9xPOv5zFTcR9VSHY61eqwhKYaqBYyhHc1uvHOA3SxnN0mM2d22Lw9wy7WKX2egiF4HHQbi4xUa2qkPjABBruCuMypXbCyBxJ0z1TZkv7Q6wngluFxAy73ng4PxoQhvvhbfQM2vPx8JPdU-qBKhAzK0GVvCoQcyHuOOntZvs1wWBVCXRFB0FQcskCDIbnIStjGFBM0XM2WW2U95Cf337ehHk61JjsP4plc9fmH2rP3wS2sw3csntLYtHMqK0gvvf2L1PJZghVuuXJLVmGJVOa11cXv7CI09ulyxbZjGMDe_00gvgqh8c-IEGnvpKU6FDd-v_XKm_qwHYua3fza2LfOy2P-BSAWm_XToZ8sgfLDv0OBkgV625xROBguV3RBHT84gjQ6JPNMr2EJo-wntYLLTWf9t_-xMFu5I_FJVoVxKTb4a0fRabALPyGS9wzZ9kw6D9XB92f8NjqyO5pGowQ_m6lFAAFa1Y2JwlKUmxHX_Hd9Ki31uFNKM1NM2BeqAXOm72M=w2354-h1588-no

Welcome to the club Akiva. It seems there has been a slight increase in activity in Nikon RF users, or at least in this board, in the past year. Hoping that trend continues!

Agreed, we need more posters! But I guess due to the camera itself, finding more Nikon RF shooters is just a rare sighting.

G7-93oCSrGLQOUuMQsUHkfwbOJyFsRHa2BRhXxVvZuHSo4WiJww_N39EDd3wYBKfOOoq1Z03BivxzF_-MW5p-VCHsuaCsN_3civYXhQExfHCkhRzNQLmLRbdsRlJbvWQ9G8Mif3N0NnjYv5y6caQY9xSe25a8ryx6xT_yyqmmWDINvyI7SFSd0bkXjMs3wSYudwz2IJ3fuG9WmUFseDuV67DaVfRL0DkOJD_1T4PGAMD7ebvvrA3zfWhYZe0wLpnTjebB92_NdGHUFddZZu3hBTf1ivQ12jvXD-BXa9tQLsP2lla4HCAjPF9fVBGIbkb9H7gG5RL4g550X-l7eMgLQjNTLyIs9COpy7IXNYoijYP2Mamtf5dKAhO9Lcjt1jdZIEvfrfjqqvovX5JV08sYJvP32c_thmIGEw-vWKtbQfGznblJ__TEgCR6rYug7YFLcLDVpX9XytlLNizoI0wRqVbyYHFrSFUugWMt3gsQvmRY2kzbqAuZ9n3I6sUB72Di4wbSOITbwT3wHtzvIDsWHYnnVPLpKZtsdWOZ0pWEbu1wHqwdCDW-IuAGw2DhpivUs13jUEBH5KOpjIaNv2MPMznqTasVDbjOSrKw78ex4miDZNRmEOd5usK102tKOTOoDsylK-QOFY-TukhYCuDyZU3utGFVI9X6gVINhQ9tFCMkUz0vzswVsEu5rhg3Vo=w1325-h902-no

S3: titanium shutter or cloth?

S3: titanium shutter or cloth?

My first post here to say that I have wanted a Nikon RF since I was in high school in the 50s. I bought my first Nikon, a Nikkormat FT when I was in the army stationed in Japan and later moved up to a Nikon Photomic (love that word) FTn and then various digitals to now with my D810. So I finally bit the bullet some 50 years later and bought a beautiful S3 from Japan and am shooting and processing various color film and then scanning. So my question is how does one know if their S3 has the cloth or titanium shutter? I've done a lot of Googling and come up empty. BTW its serial number is 6307039.

My first post here to say that I have wanted a Nikon RF since I was in high school in the 50s. I bought my first Nikon, a Nikkormat FT when I was in the army stationed in Japan and later moved up to a Nikon Photomic (love that word) FTn and then various digitals to now with my D810. So I finally bit the bullet some 50 years later and bought a beautiful S3 from Japan and am shooting and processing various color film and then scanning. So my question is how does one know if their S3 has the cloth or titanium shutter? I've done a lot of Googling and come up empty. BTW its serial number is 6307039.

Hey, welcome. The S3 only came with a cloth shutter from the factory, but can be modified with a titanium shutter transplant from the F or later SP. A titanium shutter has a little stamped pattern on it, like this F2, while a cloth shutter looks more like...cloth. You probably have a cloth shutter.

Back