Which is your favorite FSU "normal lens" and why?

Which is your favorite FSU "normal lens" and why?

• Industar 22 (50mm f3.5)

Votes: 38 6.9%
  • Industar 50 (50mm f3.5)

Votes: 29 5.2%
  • Industar 26 (52mm f2.8)

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Industar 61 (52mm f2.8)

Votes: 91 16.5%
  • Jupiter 8 (50mm f2.0)

Votes: 249 45.0%
  • Jupiter 3 (50mm f1.5)

Votes: 146 26.4%
  • other

Votes: 38 6.9%

• Total voters
strange result, would have expected J3 win.

my vote went to J3, though am not fan of FSU gear, sometimes good copies can be nice surprises.

I guess at 1.5 and considering their construction, apart from no shimming / less than perfect shimming issues, people can have seriously unpleasant J3 experiences... Even several times! But a good one is a very nice, sharp, fast and light thing with sweet bokeh!

Cheers,

Juan

Anyone that wants to see actual results from J3 should try using it in Contax mount on Kiev or Contax. No shimming or adjustments required. But you have to have Contax or Kiev to begin with.
I used my J3 on my Kievs and Contaxes and liked the results very much.

I have not yet used the Zorki 6, but I do like the J-12 and your use of it as seen in your review, is very good.
I like the first photo from the trip you posted with the kid's hands blurred.
Rob

Thanks. Almost the whole role was shot at 1/30s so I got blure every here and there.
Jupiter-12 is a great lens, I've bought ZM Biogon 35mm for my Leica inspired by it (Biogon also rocks)!

I used industar-50

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

but 2 weeks later I would be in the hands of a lens "jupiter-3" 1950 year, Then I'll be able to compare, then one is better!

I didn't vote because it is so difficult to choose one... Except for the I-26m, every lens listed has a specific characteristic that appeals to me in one way or the other.

I've owned nearly all of these except the J-3, and my favorite is the 61LD because it''s close to a Leica in IQ. Probably not the same in resolution power, but what do you expect for 1/10 the price. The Industar 22 would be a close second, but by it's very nature isn't as user friendly.

Like all things FSU, your sample may vary....A LOT! If you're lucky, it will at least focus. I've owned more than a few that had been taken apart and put back together in a "less than optimal manner". Don't expect great build quality w/ the 61LD, but at least it has click stops, nice coatings, and a wonderful way of making images. The J-8 is sharper and of better construction (at least the later black ones are), but that sharpness comes at the expense of some character, for lack of a better word. If you shoot Leica vs Zeiss, then you know what I mean. Best bang for the buck, buy an 61LD w/ any variety of FSU body/lens cap and have a ball.

I like the Jupiter.8 ... except for a particular "black & white" Industar.22 that I have. It's not razor sharp, but for some reason it has a little different *look* to color photos - to my 57 yr. old bi-focaled eyes, anyway.

ZORKI.1d.jpg

U1620I1120004228.SEQ.0.jpg

bucket.jpg

www.ivanlozica.com

Mine was cheap... but that was long ago. Excellent lens for MFT, telecentric Zeiss Topogon design for aerial photography is ideal - sharp throughout the frame. And it is small, with no need for extra hood. A pleasure to use.

I like the Jupiter.8 ... except for a particular "black & white" Industar.22 that I have. It's not razor sharp, but for some reason it has a little different *look* to color photos - to my 57 yr. old bi-focaled eyes, anyway.

ZORKI.1d.jpg

U1620I1120004228.SEQ.0.jpg

bucket.jpg

Good looking camera and lens produce excellent photos. I like those colors as well.

I like my Industar 61 on my Zorki Festival as it delivers quite sharp photos. My Jupiter 8 on my Kiev 4am is not that sharp (although I am not 100% sure if it is due to some barely noticeable haze on the back element of the lens. I will definitely replace it with a better one.

Back