Which LTM lens would you buy?

wrs1145

A native Texan looking for the light.
Local time
3:05 PM
I've got a Canon Model P & an L1. Also I've got a Canon 35/ 2, a Jupiter 12; and a Canon 28/ 2.8 and a Orion 15 28. I've got a few extra bucks to spend and would like so advice from you guys for streets hooting mainly.
Should I buy a 35 or a 28 and which one would you buy for an olds school look?

Thanks very much,
Bill

I've got a Canon Model P & an L1. Also I've got a Canon 35/ 2, a Jupiter 12; and a Canon 28/ 2.8 and a Orion 15 28. I've got a few extra bucks to spend and would like so advice from you guys for streets hooting mainly.

Thanks very much,
Bill
The Canon 35mm f2.8 will give you an old school look… it’s an older formulation than the 35mm f2.0 you already have. Ditto the Canon 35mm f1.8, although this lens is very flare prone compared to the 35/2.8 and 35/2.0. The other outstanding lens for a vintage look is the Leica Summaron 35mm f3.5. This lens in the ltm version is tiny and sharp and the moderate contrast will enable you to bring out shadow detail. I take it you’re not interested in a 50mm. I think the Canon 28mm f2.8 is a great lens and most likely gives you an old school look. The Voigtlander Skopar 28s - the original f3.5 and recent f2.8 versions - are fantastic lenses esp w bw film; not old school but not too modern/contrasty either.

Thanks very much,
Bill

I always loved the Canon 28/3.5 when I owned it. Gave me beautiful results on a Leica CL.

My current 28 is the Kobalux 28/3.5 & it is also an exquisite lens. If you find one, grab it and run.

I would advise getting a 50 at some point just to have the option. Given your lenses one can be a nice alternative, almost a telephoto or portrait lens. The early Canon Serenar chrome 50/1.8 will give you a very classic look that I think you'd appreciate given your post.

You already have a 35mm and a 28mm LTM lens from canon and another of each focal length from the Soviet union. Why not get something in another focal length? Do you own a 50mm? The Canon 50mm f1.8 is one of the best 50mm LTM lenses and is cheap. Or if you never shoot 50mm, how about a Leica 35mm lens. The 35mm f3.5 Summaron is excellent and relatively inexpensive. I have one and I love it! I shot this with it:

9-8-23-dog.jpg

Or, it strikes me, go wider yet. One lens I don't use anywhere _NEAR_ often enough is my Voigtlander 21/4 though I always enjoy it when I do.

I don't think you're going to gain anything by adding another 35mm or 28mm to the kit - although I will second what some people say here and say the 35mm f/3.5 Summaron is a lovely lens if you insist on sticking with that range.

So, yeah, I'm in the camp of "get a 50mm instead". With two bodies, a 28mm and 50mm combo makes a lot of sense. 35mm splits the difference if you just want one body, one lens for a day.

There's lots of good LTM 50mm lenses out there; I'm really not keen on Canon's options, though. Personally, I think everyone needs a 50mm f/3.5 Elmar. They're cheap, sharp, and incredibly compact - I often think of it as the "default" LTM lens, and in 99% of daylight scenarios, you can't really go wrong with it. A Summitar would be more expensive, but give you more "speed" and a more characterful rendering.

I would consider getting a 50mm lens that is so good that it will take you away for a while from your wide angle lenses.
What is your budget?
The Canon 50/1.8 is excellent but so is the Canon 50/1.5 and the Nikon 50/2.0 ltm and the collapsible Summicron 50/2 ltm and the exotic Canon 50/1.2 or the fast but less exotic Canon 50/1.4. You have many options. The Heliar 50/3.5 ltm or the Heliar 50/2 ltm.
Go with a 50.
It will complement what you have so far in lenses.

Last edited:

Thanks very much,
Bill
I wouldn't add more lenses. With the P & L1 i'd look at adding high quality accessory viewfinders for your 35 & 28mm

I'd go with a 50mm. The Canon 50/1.8 is a very fine lens and shares the same 40mm filter size of your other Canon lenses. Sticking with Can I'd second the Canon 28/3.5 LTM black/chrome as a very different beast to their 28/2.8. I feel it's sharper, has less vignetting and higher contrast. That said I still like the 28/2.8 for its own qualities. I have three Canon 35mm lenses 35/1.8, 35/2 and 35/2.8. I've not noticed the 35/1.8 as being particularly flair prone but in fairness I've not used it as much as the 35/2 which I've owned considerably longer.

The Voigtlander Color Skopar 35mm f2.5 is really nice. It's a little more modern but very neutral and clean rendering, and the LTM version is very well made, tiny and pleasant to use.

The Voigtlander Color Skopar 35mm f2.5 is really nice. It's a little more modern but very neutral and clean rendering, and the LTM version is very well made, tiny and pleasant to use.
I guess i don't get it... the OP has 2x 35mm lens and 2x 28mm lens. IMO he/she doesn't need more lenses. Perhaps spend the money on film, paper or travelling somewhere to take photos?

I guess i don't get it... the OP has 2x 35mm lens and 2x 28mm lens. IMO he/she doesn't need more lenses. Perhaps spend the money on film, paper or travelling somewhere to take photos?
I am in agreement, it might be time to upgrade the Canon 35mm f2, but I don't see another good reason to look into redundant focal lengths.

Just one practical note about Canon 50 1.8 ltm Get all in silver, Serenar, if I'm not mistaken.
Most of silver and black are with irreparable fog by now. Especially from eBay.

I am boring. I shoot a 50mm lens more than any other. I love the perspective.

And out of all the 50mm lenses I own the one I shoot the most frequently is my boring old collapsible Elmar.

Which reminds me, I have been shooting my SLR far too frequently. Time to pick up a rangefinder for a bit. :D

I too recommend adding a 50mm to your collection. There is an incredible range of choices out there, many reasonably priced. I would suggest something off the beaten path, however. Perhaps a Canon 2.2/50, a reasonably sharp lens with excellent rendering for portraiture. Or maybe a Topcor 2/50 biotar design, or a Topcor 2.8/50 heliar design.

Many thanks for your valuable input. For your information, I've got plenty of Canon and Russkie 50mm lenses. To help me make a final decision, where would I find reasonably priced accessories for a Leica Summaron 3.5 like a Yellow filter and a hood?

Last edited:
To help me make a final decision, where would I find reasonably priced accessories for a Leica Summaron 3.5 like a Yellow filter and a hood?
The Summaron takes A36 push on filters, which are much more plentiful and easier to find than the 40mm screw-in ones Canon favoured. Here in the UK you can get Leitz A36 filters complete in case for ~£15 for the standard options (yellow, green, orange, red, etc.).

The hood is a bit more difficult - the correct part is called a FOOKH. Prices for those vary from tolerable (one UK dealer has one for £39 at the mo) to insane (there's ones on eBay for £150 right now!).

I don't know if there's been modern reproductions of the FOOKH from the Chinese folks like LLL yet. I'm not sure you really need the FOOKH, though - my Summaron's always done alright without one.

Back