Yashica Electro 35 MC Twins

farlymac

PF McFarland
Local time
10:00 PM
25426430833_5e99904c16_z.jpg

Yashica Electro 35 MC Twins by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Got really lucky on an auction one night, and won a two-for-one deal on these cameras. Turns out one was made in
Hong Kong, and the other in Japan. You can only tell the difference between the two by the manufacture stamping on the base plate, the serial numbers (the Hong Kong model starts with an H), and the name ring on the lens (the Hong Kong model says “Lens Made In Japan”, while the other one says “Yashica Japan”).

40mm f2.8 lens, step less shutter speeds electronically controlled from 4 seconds to 1/500. X-Sync automatically set when a PC flash cord is plugged into the socket, with GN setting scale on the lens barrel. Viewfinder with Focus Zone indicator (scale focusing on lens), and bright line frame with parallax marks. Battery Indicator lamp on top stays on during exposure or self timer actuation.

Just a nice, compact camera that would be great for street photography.

It didn’t burn out the highlights
26028863235_ae3c2b3915_z.jpg

High Contrast Check by P F McFarland, on Flickr

I should have chosen something with a darker background
26028874225_d7e8b0671b_z.jpg

Close-up by P F McFarland, on Flickr

A touch of flare
25756071010_56c915cddd_z.jpg

Backlighting by P F McFarland, on Flickr

F2.8 on the left, and f16 on the right
25426407283_a1a563dca4_z.jpg

Depth-Of-Field by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Between 2-3 seconds at f2.8
25962543071_1d18de0c6b_z.jpg

NightTower by P F McFarland, on Flickr

The second roll, Kodak Ektra 100 in the “Made In Japan” model, was all over the place as far as exposures were concerned. It did seem to settle down after a while, so it could just be the shutter working out some stiffness after who knows how long it’s been sitting around.

Needed a little exposure adjustment (slightly dark)
25427462204_acc785acd5_z.jpg

Water Veil by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Exposure and focus good on this one
26006306076_d83958dc9a_z.jpg

Dancing Tree by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Strong backlighting
26032264555_0ba8596202_z.jpg

Autumn Holdouts by P F McFarland, on Flickr

And bring up the rear of this camera test
25965911491_898cf567da_z.jpg

Rounding The Point by P F McFarland, on Flickr

To see all the examples, follow this link to Flickr https://flic.kr/s/aHskx55FvJ

PF

The MC does look nice. I have been looking at Lomo LCA+, Rollei 35 and Minox options for a scale focus option, but the MC looks a bit , cheaper, more easy to use and controllable. I have a GTN but its a bit too big for my pocket. I would like to use a small scale focus in tandem with one of my TLRs. Any more opinions on the MC or the MC?

The MC does look nice. I have been looking at Lomo LCA+, Rollei 35 and Minox options for a scale focus option, but the MC looks a bit , cheaper, more easy to use and controllable. I have a GTN but its a bit too big for my pocket. I would like to use a small scale focus in tandem with one of my TLRs. Any more opinions on the MC or the MC?

Rollei B35 (35B) was my first “serious” camera back in the day. Long gone....my first ebay buy was a black 35B in mint condition. The Triotar lens is very sharp and has good color rendition. The light weight and wrist strap create a really useable camera. That all said, the Chinon Bellamy has a lot going for it too. Very Very Good Lens.

Definitely easy to carry in a pocket as they are smaller than the Electro 35 CC/CCN.

PF

Nice to see this thread. We don't seem to see as many of the old compact RF discussed here as we used to. Have you used them much since you got them? You seem to have so many cameras it much be hard to use all in turn. Me too. As many as I have, I used to have favorites that I was more likely to use. Are yours still performing well?

I have a Canon 17 GIII that is possibly a little bit larger. I used it a bit to try and fall in love with it, but just never did. I did like it though Several years ago I acquired a Rollie and did like it except for me the RF control was not as comfortably placed as I would like. It did become easier with use, and I don't know where else they could have put it given its size. I haven't really been involved in anything photographic for several years due to several reasons. I am hoping to get back in to it, and the Rollie will be one I use as well as the Canonet 1.7 which isn't as pretty to me at least as the Rollie, but is more versatile in use, for me at least.

Nice to see this thread. We don't seem to see as many of the old compact RF discussed here as we used to. Have you used them much since you got them? You seem to have so many cameras it much be hard to use all in turn. Me too. As many as I have, I used to have favorites that I was more likely to use. Are yours still performing well?

I have a Canon 17 GIII that is possibly a little bit larger. I used it a bit to try and fall in love with it, but just never did. I did like it though Several years ago I acquired a Rollie and did like it except for me the RF control was not as comfortably placed as I would like. It did become easier with use, and I don't know where else they could have put it given its size. I haven't really been involved in anything photographic for several years due to several reasons. I am hoping to get back in to it, and the Rollie will be one I use as well as the Canonet 1.7 which isn't as pretty to me at least as the Rollie, but is more versatile in use, for me at least.

Yes, too many cameras. These didn't get any use after I posted the test photos. I need to do a purge. The Big Christmas Giveaway should be starting soon. Only problem is I have no idea where the box they reside in is located. Or maybe they're in a drawer somewhere. Anyway, I've been doing more digital photography when I do get out but have plans for shooting more film. I've got a bunch of rolls that need to be processed.

I worked on a GIII for a friend once and liked it when I took the test images after the repairs. Got my own about a year later and I can't remember ever using it. It was at the time I started to lose interest in the aperture/shutter priority compacts as I wanted more control over the exposure. The Electro 35 CC was the last Aperture Priority compact I used.

I hope you get back to doing photography soon. I find it good for keeping your mind off the stuff you can't do anything about.

PF

Back