Antonioni's "Blow Up" insider stories

I saw Blow Up when I was 17. Had a huge effect on my getting into photography. I enjoyed the hell out this blog. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the link. I too saw Blow Up when it came out and a couple of times since then. Very interesting to add the background from his blog.

Thank you so much Rodinal (great name - in fact I've got some APX100 stand-developing in Rodinal RIGHT NOW!) for a fascinating link. I think the film is absolutely wonderful and without doubt is the reason I became infatuated with photography as a young teen. Reading about it from someone who was an integral part of the production is so interesting.

Last time I was in London, a couple of years ago, I visited Maryon Park in Charlton, the location of the park scenes in the film, and was delighted to find it virtually identical to how it was depicted in the film - the paths, the wicker fences, the flat area at the top of the hill - and of course the tennis court! So involved was I in fact with finding scene locations that were still recognizable that I stayed too long and was locked in. Had to climb a wall to get out but it was totally worth it!

I saw the movie when it came out, but I was already doing photography. I just love a mystery; so two loves in one film. 'The Conversation' was a very similar film only using audio surveillance equipment, also a good film.

I found about the movie years later after I read the short story in which Antonioni was inspired to make his film. The story's name is Las Babas del Diablo by the Argentinean writer Julio Cortazar. I love the story, I re read it every now and then when I need some inspiration to go out and shoot.

There is a really good quote in the story, the main character Michael says: "Among the many ways to fight boredom, one of the best ones, is to take photographs. It is an activity that should be early taught to children because it demands discipline, aesthetic education, a good eye, and steady fingers..."

Technical fact: In the story, Michael uses a Contax II.2 (as far as I know it is a model made up by the author). If you want to read a really good story about street photography you should give it a try. I found this blog that has an English translation of the story:
http://deeblog.squarespace.com/journal/2011/11/21/las-babas-del-diablo-part-1.html

Finally it is really interesting how the film was inspired on a short story, which in turn was inspired by a photograph of Sergio Larrain. Talking about inspiring photography, or the power of photography!

Cheers!

The myth says that during a shooting session outside the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris, photographer Sergio Larraín (Chilean) captured an unexpected image only discovered after he had his film developed. The writer Julio Cortázar (Agentinean) heard about this episode and was inspired to write the short story "Las babas del Diablo". In turn, this story inspired Antonioni's "Blow Up".

Currently, there is a big exhibition of Larraín's work in the Museo de Bellas Artes in Santiago, the first in decades, only possible now because during his life he opposed to such a show.

Larraín was invited to join Magnum (in 1959) by HC-B himself after he saw his photo reportages of street children. Larraín biography has striking similarities with Cartier-Bresson's own.

Amazing how the property values around that studio where much of the film was shot have astronomically risen in value. This seems to have happened in New York City around the same time frame. Bohemian run down cheap rent districts becoming high dollar almost overnight in some cases...

John Hooton deceased

John Hooton deceased

I have only just found out that John Hooton died a few months ago (July 8th 2019).

As someone who has watched Antonioni's 'Blow Up' many times and read John's fascinating accounts of the background to the photographic aspects of the film this comes as sad news.

To those who have not read John's first hand account with the making of the film, it is still available here:

https://hooton.photo/?p=1109

Back