Canon LTM canon 35mm f2 ltm compare summicron....?

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
Joe at JP Camera Repairs took 15mins to cure the wobble on my copy. Three screws needed tightened , according to Joe. He also made aperture click stops much more distinct. Sweet little lens but not to be used wide open!

Joe at JP Camera Repairs took 15mins to cure the wobble on my copy. Three screws needed tightened , according to Joe. He also made aperture click stops much more distinct. Sweet little lens but not to be used wide open!

When I had one I was really impressed with it even wide open.

I don't like it between f2 and f4 and above it's just an average 35. I don't understand the hype but I may have to try at least one more copy.

Thanks, that is the vid I need, don't know why I couldn't find that one!

I'm confident, but sometimes use a hammer. ;)
I had a focus wobble in my Canon 50mm 1.4 LTM a while back and managed to fix it, it was relatively easy. I followed the process here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMRnqIysGAk
But only tackle this if you're confident dismantling lenses. I seem to recall only needing to remove the rear part of the lens, and there was a screw that needed tightening. I imagine it's a similar process with the 35mm.

Focus ring backlash

Focus ring backlash

This issue of a slight 'wobble' in the focusing action of my Canon 35mm f2 lens probably developed over the four decades I have owned it. Last year I decided to have a go at fixing this perceived problem.
After removing the optical block then cleaning and greasing the accessible parts of the focusing helical, I could see there is square section groove machined in the threaded inner helical into which fits a small brass 'key'. This in turn prevents the moving helical section from rotating. Common to other lenses, this arrangement ensures that the lens block stays in the same orientation as the inner helical moves in and out.
The wobble or backlash is the result of wear to the mating surfaces of key and groove as one slides against the other. There was no detrimental effect on focus accuracy as there was no longitudinal play in the lens mount.

I've got a pretty well used version of this lens and I'm wondering if it's worth it to find some place to CLA it or get a different 35mm (Voigtlander or a summicron v3) finally have the funds available.

The front element is really loose and wobbly, a good number of scratches and dust inside the lens. I also can't put the aperture ring all the way to f/2 but it looks like it's wide open.

I did get it for a pretty good price at $225 CAD so I'm not sure if I want to spend the money on the CLA (or if it's even worth it) or just to get a different 35mm.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to get at the inside of the front optical cell? I have what is probably a flake of paint floating around the inside behind the front element, and while it's not affecting the image in any way, I'd rather not have it there.

As far as I remember, you need to first remove the name ring. This will require a rubber tool of the correct circumference. If you're lucky, you may be able to loosen it with your fingers. There is another ring under this that holds the element in place. That one should be easier to remove. Lift out the element with a small suction cup.

Sent my M2 to Youxin Ye for servicing this summer. Had him return it to me in Indiana while we were there visiting my family for a few weeks. Took the Canon with me to use. Really like the results of that combo.

44510174251_e89ab1e3ed_b.jpg
[/url]Untitled by Peter Jennings, on Flickr[/IMG]

Sent my M2 to Youxin Ye for servicing this summer. Had him return it to me in Indiana while we were there visiting my family for a few weeks. Took the Canon with me to use. Really like the results of that combo.
Peter - I took the liberty of browsing some of your other photos which use that combo (Leica M2 + Canon 35/2 + HP5). Oh my yes, that's lovely work. --david hill

I have much used summicron first version wetzlar 8 elements and watching pictures posted here seems to me of seeing a certain similarity with canon lens . That i have bought a few days ago, we will see... :)

35f2 by Mauro Scacco, su Flickr

It's a gorgeous fall day here in Wisconsin, so I took my new to me Canon 35mm f2.0 ltm (1st version) out to see what it's all about. So far the biggest surprise has been how crazily impressionistic the OOF areas are...

jb_003-3.jpg

Observe below how the two branches on the right are almost violently deconstructed, it's like they're being rended apart! I personally have never seen anything like it.

jb_003-4.jpg

I will be using this lens mostly on my Leica IIIc with black and white film, but these were taken with a Fuji X-T1 (I'll be sticking with the Fujinon 35mm f1.4). Fortunately, this is largely moot since I seem to live at f8.

Here's one at f8...

jb_003-5.jpg

The first photo is probably the harshest test for any lens’ bokeh, but I see what you mean. It may also be the impact of use on an APS-C size sensor.

In any case, lovely colours in these photos.

Back