EXIF editor for Mac

mich8261

Well-known
Local time
11:31 AM
I am looking for a recommendation for an EXIF editor for Mac. I would like to be able to enter Camera, Lens, f/stop and shutter speed into my scanned images.

Thanks.

yikes, that is expensive and I'm afraid I don't speak perl, only French and English. Anything simple out there?

I didn't see any way of editing EXIF info in PM4, at least the demo version. Reveal won't let you edit camera information.

I've been on the lookout for a while now for a capable Mac app for this and haven't found anything besides the exiftool perl script.

The best thing I've found so far is PowerExif but I hesitate to bring in the old clunky PC into my workflow.

I'm surprised there isn't a decent Mac exif editor as well. Though you really could build a nice little interface for exiftool with applescript if you wanted. It really does seem to be the most powerful exif/iptc program out there.

I've vaguely thought about writing a simple exif editor of OS X if I ever found the time to finish the simple program I'm writing now :)

Tim Gray said:
Though you really could build a nice little interface for exiftool with applescript if you wanted.

Tim, I agree with you -- although photography is for me an escape from my computer job. :) I actually like coding in small doses, perhaps I'll give it a shot when I have time.

I'm trying to actually learn a bit more coding. My day job isn't a computer job, but those skills wouldn't necessarily be unwelcome. I'm limited to more scripting right now (Python/IDL). It's probably a good learning project except for the fact that there are so many exif/iptc tags and so many file formats to deal with.

Something that could tag TIFF's with exif might be pretty manageable though.

thank you nightfly and sorry I originally overlooked your suggestion. I got the same recommendation from the dpreview Mac forum. I have tested it and it seems to do the trick and it is easy to use.

question about Reveal for those who use it. I just realised that it does not update the EXIF in iPhoto. Do I have to learn Perl to find a tool that will do that?

Thanks.

mich8261 said:
question about Reveal for those who use it. I just realised that it does not update the EXIF in iPhoto.

I'm guessing you're going to have to re-import them to get the info updated in the iPhoto database.

I don't think iPhoto dynamically looks up EXIF data every time you view an image -- that would be hugely slow, and normally EXIF data doesn't change after the file has been created, so it's not a capability it would have occurred to them to include.

Brilliant. Of course that makes sense. So all I have to do is edit the EXIF before I import into iPhoto. Now if only there was a way to batch edit...

Thanks jlw

I want to be able to enter my lens data into Aperture, when I have forgotten to enter the data into the camera before shooting. So that when I've shot with a 28mm PC Nikkor, but left the D700 manual lens data on 55mm f/2.8, I can correct the data. I'd also like to be able to enter the name of the lens in the same Aperture display area where it would go automatically, if it had been encoded in the lens's microchip; such as "25mm f/2 Carl Zeiss" or "28mm PC-Nikkor."

How can I do that? Is there a program for it?

I want to be able to enter my lens data into Aperture, when I have forgotten to enter the data into the camera before shooting. So that when I've shot with a 28mm PC Nikkor, but left the D700 manual lens data on 55mm f/2.8, I can correct the data. I'd also like to be able to enter the name of the lens in the same Aperture display area where it would go automatically, if it had been encoded in the lens's microchip; such as "25mm f/2 Carl Zeiss" or "28mm PC-Nikkor."

How can I do that? Is there a program for it?

Would ExifTool achieve your objective? It can't work (at least, AFAIK) in conjunction with the Aperture program, but you can directly edit a file's exifdata with it.

I believe it also has batch processing capabilities.

Exiftool is not as hard as you may think at first glance.

Here is an Exiftool example for setting basic manufacturer EXIF in some scanned files in a folder on macOS. Once you install Exiftool you can do this. This command as written adds data to every image file in a folder.

1. Open Terminal

2. Type in "cd " (Include the space) (Don't hit return yet)

3. Drag the folder with your images in from Finder and drop it in the Terminal window. The path to the Folder will show up. Now hit Return.

4. Paste in this command, altering values as you need.

exiftool -Make="Leica" -Model="Leica M2" -LensMake="Voigtlander" -LensModel="Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 Nokton Classic" -FocalLength="35" *.jpg

Change "*.jpg" to "*.tiff" if you have scanned Tiffs, etc. Then you can hit Return. If you did it correctly it will tell you how many files got edited.

When I did this regularly I kept a text file with examples of my common camera/lens/film types (I added much more than just the camera/lens info above). I would do this after each scanning session with all my new files in a single folder.

I could go on and on about command line stuff, but it really is pretty easy.

+1 for exiftool by Phil Harvey found at: exiftool (dot) org

I have used the win version for years and it seems a MacOS version is available. The documentation is quite good and includes plenty of examples. Works in batch mode.

Back