Getting this sort of look

nightfly

Well-known
Local time
5:47 AM
Was looking at this photographer Alexa Quinn's work and was very struck by the look her photos have and I can't quite put my finger on it. It's sort of de-saturated and Portra like but not quite.

A good example is here:

DSC03430_2.jpg

And I recommend taking a look at her work:

https://www.alexaquinn.com/

Was wondering how to achieve this sort of look. I know it's done digitally as I was able to sniff out the EXIF data but I'm not really sure where to start pushing and pulling the knobs to get something similar.

I'd take one of her pics and view it in greyscale, take one of your photos and also view it in greyscale. Pull up your curves and manipulate the contrast until you get a similar tonal ratio to Alexa's photo (this is probably a pretty aggressive S curve - really low contrast, maybe raised blacks, lowered whites). After that then view in each per colour channel (RGB) one at a time and try and match a similar level of saturation per channel. That should get you to an OK starting point.

As an example. Two shots. One at my regular settings, the other with low contrast slider pushed to the left:

Was looking at this photographer Alexa Quinn's work and was very struck by the look her photos have and I can't quite put my finger on it. It's sort of de-saturated and Portra like but not quite.

A good example is here:

DSC03430_2.jpg

.. .

That reminds me very much of Kodachrome II film of 50 years ago (ASA/ISO 25, daylight balanced).

My 8mm Kodachrome II movies from the mid-1960’s, mid-1970’s in the hazy Los Angeles basin have that pastel, dusty afternoon light appearance. It’s a pleasing look.

If you're talking about the composition, scene selection etc.., then the answer is obvious: you cannot because you are your own person.

If you're talking about the post-processing, this looks a lot like a Capture One Preset (which is located under Built-In Styles & Presets). In particular: under IQ Styles, either IQ Professor or Landscape. (This is assuming you have the latest version of Capture One.)

Perhaps others will have additional suggestions.

Soft light, low contrast, white balance warmer than the day was (you can see it in the white chairs), and a little under exposure.

Nothing beats good light.

Nothing beats good light.

Soft light, low contrast, white balance warmer than the day was (you can see it in the white chairs), and a little under exposure.

Excellent point, how a scene was lit is important.

It is much easier to modify an image made in aesthetically uniques lighting conditions appear as if was made under poor light than vice-versa.

What one feels good happens to mean is an open question.

Looks like portra colors (Pro 400H might be close too?) without any grain. Most of the film presets you see add grain whereas this feels very smooth and clean. We're not used to seeing that combined with film-shifted colors.

Looks like she might have used a soft focus filter as well. The image is slightly soft and "glowy" in the highlights. Nice effect.

Back