How do i get images off of internal storage on m11

MP Guy

Just another face in the crowd
Staff member
Local time
4:14 PM
Ok, so took the m11 out the other day and snapped some pictures. I can scroll through my images on the camera. Naturally, I thought I had a card in it. But I didn't. It is using internal storage. Now I can't figure out how to get the images off of the internal storage onto my pc. Any clues ?

My guess it's like most devices, where you select the appropriate USB setting in the camera and plug it into your computer. Then browse the camera using File Explorer or equivalent.

My guess it's like most devices, where you select the appropriate USB setting in the camera and plug it into your computer. Then browse the camera using File Explorer or equivalent.
Not quite. The M11 doesn't have a mass storage file transfer mode, just PTP that allows photos to be accessed by PTP-enabled software like Lightroom. So you can't just browse the memory with file explorer like an external drive. As well as photo software, the memory can be accessed (on my MacBook, at least) by Android File Transfer. The other option is to transfer files onto an SD card in camera via the backup storage option in the menu and download the card to the PC as usual.

Last edited:
Not quite. The M11 doesn't have a mass storage file transfer mode, just PTP that allows photos to be accessed by PTP-enabled software like Lightroom, so you can't just read the memory with file explorer like an external drive. As well as photo software, the memory can be accessed (on my MacBook, at least) by Android File Transfer. The other option is to transfer files onto an SD in camera via the options in the menu and download the card to the PC as usual.
Or you can transfer wirelessly with the Leica Fotos app into Lightroom. All-in-all the internal memory is fairly inconvenient.

So two steps forward, one step back, eh.
Maybe two forward and a half back. I use Fotos a lot, often on the go, so my photos are ready to edit as soon as I’m done shooting. The main strangeness is that I noticed that on the M11M I used that the photos copied off the internal storage more slowly than from the SD card. Still, the internal memory is better than none, in my view.

from experience, put in an SD card, copy over from internal storage, download via a card reader.

this is much much much much much faster than using a cable.

Fotos is a good app, I agree. Basic, but does what it says it will do. Nikon's has more features but if they work appears to be up to the temperment of the gods that day. I feel like to wireless download in SnapBridge I have to sacrifice a lamb. It does, however, have a live view remote trigger that can control the autofocus which is AMAZING.

I’ve never used the internal memory but I like knowing it will kick in just in case I fill up a card or have issues and don’t have access to a working card…I haven’t looked into it but I’m sure there is a way to move the images off the camera.

I’ve never used the internal memory but I like knowing it will kick in just in case I fill up a card or have issues and don’t have access to a working card…I haven’t looked into it but I’m sure there is a way to move the images off the camera.

there is.

let's say your card fails and you've switched over to internal. you get home and grab a formatted SD card(by the M11 please lord dont take it out of another camera unless you format it on the pc first)
  1. insert the SD card into the camera, turn the camera on
  2. go to page 4 of the menu
  3. scroll to storage management
  4. the select "Backup Memory (IN => SD)"
  5. take the card out and use a card reader to get your photos

Pretty straightforward once you know the trick

Back