Is the Bessa R my only option?

It becomes LTM by mounting a LTM lens with M adapter into the M bayonet -- then unscrewing the lens. Bingo. LTM camera.

Stephen

Hmmm, so you can use just one adapter and then choose the frameline on the camera? as opposed to buying the correct adapter to bring up a frame line like on a Leica?

If that is true, then the OP can buy any Bessa R2, R3, R4 etc. His only barrier is price.

Wow. Lots of film cameras have gone up! I have many cameras accumulated over the years. I really should sell most of them. I'm shooting less film and I definitely have settled on a small set of favorites that I enjoy most. Still, it's just fun to pull out an oddball now and then...Wirgin Edixa anyone?

I do need to reassess my ownership of the Bessa R. Maybe it would be better to find a home that will use it more often.

I feel bad about the neglect of my R but I have too many cameras that are enjoyable to use. I know I'm not the only one here with that problem.

You're right. There's at least one other on here, with the same problem... ;) :D

I really like using my Bessa R, and should use it far more than I do. :eek:

Wow. Lots of film cameras have gone up! I have many cameras accumulated over the years. I really should sell most of them. I'm shooting less film and I definitely have settled on a small set of favorites that I enjoy most. Still, it's just fun to pull out an oddball now and then...Wirgin Edixa anyone?

I do need to reassess my ownership of the Bessa R. Maybe it would be better to find a home that will use it more often.

Yup, film camera prices have sky-rocketed during the pandemic. Seems like a lot of people are at home watching YouTubers talk about camera after camera - the more sought-after ones are going for ridiculous prices now.

I'm actually slowly clearly out my collection at the moment! Settling on a very few number of them, but am still searching for the "one" rangefinder. As my thread has illustrated, I have still not come to an easy conclusion :eek:

L is not a rangefinder. It is not very practical for 35/50 mm lenses.
But I had it with Industar 61 l/d and soviet universal finder once. :)

It is cool camera for two reasons. It shows you light meter without getting it to your face and it allows to use it at any time. Not after film is advanced to only realize what you don't need this shot or it is gone. :)

I will play the contrarian here and recommend a Canon L1. Switchable viewfinder. The entire viewfinder/rangefinder image is either 50mm or 35mm with an additional magnified view that is roughly 135mm.

To replace the TTL I use a cold shoe mounted Reveni light meter. Small, light, and accurate. (There are other shoe mount meters, do some research. Hamish Gill at 35mmc has reviewed several.)

The L1 is a Canon V variant. Extremely well built. 100% manual operation.
Agreed - the L1 is a solid camera - easy to use

Not such a great deal once you add a/several auxiliary viewfinders

My problem with the T as well. I'm comfortably sticking with my 35 Skopar and Voigt 35mm viewfinder, but all my thoughts of supplementing glass have to come with similar thoughts on finding affordable viewfinders. I think one of the multi-angle turret finders would be the most economical way to equip a camera like this, but most of those don't work well if you wear glasses.

There is always the quirky Bessa T, which requires you to add an accessory finder and has a separate rangefinder window... but is about $400 and does have probably the best rangefinder you will find anywhere near it, and a Leica M mount to boot! But... accessory finder... decoupled rangefinder/viewfinder experience.

Very fun to use :)

Very fun to use :)

Agreed! I mostly scale focus on the street, I really like how the focus distance scale on the lens as well as the meter on the camera body are easy to take in at a glance, before raising the camera to my eye. Then I can quickly raise, frame and shoot without anything getting between my intention and the photo.

$500 gets you quite close to the later M-mount Bessa models with some patience. In the past 6 months I've been able to score an R3M for $550 and an R4M for $700 off eBay. Ignore Buy It Now auctions and wait for bidding auctions.

Back