La Planète Sauvage - Shikoku. A road trip to another planet, WIP.

Such beautiful work, so emotive, so full of majesty and yet humanity.

I confess to being a little overwhelmed by these magnificent photos. I will return to them a few times in the very near future, and try to post something a little more, well, coherent in appreciation of your excellent ork.

In only two words, truly outstanding. Now I too want to return to film with a Widelux...!

You are too kind, thank you! I'd like to also thank everybody leaving "likes", I appreciate every feedback.
What can I say, I'll post here till I run out of pictures ;)

thanks for dropping by!

alternative versions of the one posted before, I have no idea which one to choose...

EDIT: filling in the details- pictured compound is the Sumitomo Osaka Cement Kochi Factory in Susaki, Kōchi Prefecture.

I really like these wide angle photos of rural Japan, especially the buildings with interior spaces in deep shadow. I think the eye is drawn to those areas, wanting to see more. Regarding the three photos of the cement plant, the first one is the best. In #2 and #3 the main structure is too close to the edges of the frame and that does not work, imo. I look forward to seeing more.

I really like these wide angle photos of rural Japan, especially the buildings with interior spaces in deep shadow. I think the eye is drawn to those areas, wanting to see more. Regarding the three photos of the cement plant, the first one is the best. In #2 and #3 the main structure is too close to the edges of the frame and that does not work, imo. I look forward to seeing more.
It's all a gut feeling where to place yourself with the camera, maybe 5% of times I tried to use the viewfinder, most of the time just relying on arrow markers and paying attention to the bubble level on top. One good advice I got from internet regarding panoramas was "compose your image, and then come forward 3ft. you'll get better definition of space and pronouced foreground". So most of the times my better compositions are just the more lucky ones.

LUCymp6.jpeg

YHZrrxW.jpeg

Niihama, Ehime Pref.

I believe a very distinct look of a rotating panorama amplify the feeling I wanted to deliver- it's a different world, beyond my "western" cultural experience and knowlege. I just tried to "be amazed" like first explorers of a foreign world.
Thsi apporach is a most reasonable way to approach travel photography and your results speak for themselves!

Many of you photos bring to my mind the essay "In Praise of Shadows" by Jun'ichiro Tanisaki.

In Praise of Shadows - Wikipedia

Keep posting
Joao

This book along with "Zen in the Art of Archery" by Eugen Herrigel was very important in my way of thinking about photography, I "discovered" them around pandemic I think.

Also worth mentioning are "Tsurezuregusa" (Essays in Idleness) by Kenkō, "An Introduction to Zen Buddhism" by Suzuki Daisetz Teitaro and "Lost Japan: Last Glimpse of Beautiful Japan" by Alex Kerr which reinforced my fascination with Shikoku (too bad the mountain road was closed and I coudn't visit Chiiori).

Attached picture for those "who know" ;)

Attachments

• wab250.jpg
    wab250.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 16
I am really loving these panoramas of Shikoku, Jan. They are really distinctive and add a lot to my perception of Japanese landscape. Thank you very much for posting this project.
Were you on the 88 shrine pilgrimage with your friend?

I am really loving these panoramas of Shikoku, Jan. They are really distinctive and add a lot to my perception of Japanese landscape. Thank you very much for posting this project.
Were you on the 88 shrine pilgrimage with your friend?
Off season, off the beaten path, this is where the good stuff is, I'm happy you like it too.
No, no, it was a solo road trip, too short to see more than maybe a dozen of the 88 temples, but the concept is very appealing to me. Also I was more on the search of Shinto shirnes, not only because they are more photogenic but also I feel they are more connected to the local traditions and customs.

Ngay6IR.jpeg

Shosan-ji Temple, Kamiyama, Tokushima Pref.

I think people take years to see all 88 shrines. I only managed maybe 4 in a 4 day walk/train tour. Pretty random choices too. I totally agree with you about Shinto shrines as opposed to Buddhist temples. They tend to be more austere and somehow more 'grounded', which makes them somehow more photogenic as well.

I think people take years to see all 88 shrines. I only managed maybe 4 in a 4 day walk/train tour. Pretty random choices too. I totally agree with you about Shinto shrines as opposed to Buddhist temples. They tend to be more austere and somehow more 'grounded', which makes them somehow more photogenic as well.
Or 2-3 months in one go, I've read reports and I admire those bold people.

more from Tsurugi, Tokushima Pref. (same town as the old cinema building):

jsZiP0v.jpeg

yio4pTI.jpeg

Sadamitsu Station

ECDzxl6.jpeg

Sadamitsu Station

Last edited:
Back