Leica LTM Leica IIIa and Summar!

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses

rbiemer

Unabashed Amateur
Local time
4:42 PM
Inbound to me is a "new" Leica--came across a IIIA with a Summar for a decent price.
I figure it will be here early next week. :)

Hopefully it will be as good as described! And, I have a contemporary camera to use my '37 9cm Elmar on.

Photo are from the seller, will post my own when I get the camera

Rob

Attachments

• Leica and lens.jpg
    Leica and lens.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Summar!.jpg
    Summar!.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 16
A true pocket camera, at least if you're wearing a coat. Try to get the lens hood made for the Summar. It's bulky and ugly, but not expensive for a Leica accessory. It does make a difference, especially if you shoot the lens nearly wide open.

I picked up a very similar set last year, with a serial number around 1500 later than yours, though mine was a basket case. It is a fine kit. I agree that a hood is a big plus if you want to avoid veiling flare at large apertures, though I would recommend a 34mm screw-in aftermarket hood like this: https://www.jackthehat.co.uk/34mm-lens-hood-metal-screw-type-anti-reflective-p-286.html . Relatively compact, doesn't vignette, and really cuts down on flare.

Got the camera in today's mail. Looks and sounds great!
And, I've ordered a Summar to Series adapter so I can use some filters and a hood I already have. And a uv filter--don't generally use those but I do want to keep the lens covered.
A couple of questions for you folks:
The case that it came with is a Leica case and this camera fits the case but the screw in the case doesn't seem to engage the tripod socket. It almost seem like the case has a 1/4-20 screw rather than the bigger size (3/8-16? I can't recall) for this camera. Did Leica offer the III cameras with a choice between the sizes? Or, what camera might the case have been actually made for--the screw in the case does not appear to be damaged?
Thanks!
Rob

You can use 3/8th-to-1/4th adapter rings for those if you really want.

I hadn't used any of my Summars in a while, so I shot with a IIIc+Summar combo over the weekend.

Been using the IIIA and Summar a bit lately and have enjoyed that a lot.
Have a question about the Summar lens, though:
When extended and "locked", where should the aperture scale be? I would have expected it to be seen looking down from the top of the camera--ie, at the 12 o'clock position.
My lens has the scale at about the 3 o'clock position when looking from the front of the camera--to the left when holding the camera to use it.

Thanks,
Rob

Never had a Summar, but:
The focus threads could have been "started" wrong the last time it was opened and shut.
It don't think it makes a difference to the rangefinder, but the distance scale could be mis-aligned, as is the position of the aperture scale.

Never had a Summar, but:
The focus threads could have been "started" wrong the last time it was opened and shut.
It don't think it makes a difference to the rangefinder, but the distance scale could be mis-aligned, as is the position of the aperture scale.

David,
Distance seems to be fine, the distance scale is offset a bit from 12 O'clock, it is about "1 o'clock" when looking at the front of the camera. I would have expected the aperture scale to align with that and it does not. The seller did say that the lens had a CLA but didn't say by whom...might decide to have an actual pro look at this.

I do know that the distance scales of ltm lenses don't necessarily line up to 12 o'clock and some variation is not a big deal but, as I said, I did expect the aperture to align with the distance. It's a bit of a pain to have to raise the left side of the camera every time I want to check or change aperture.

Thanks!
Rob

Photo of one I used to have:

MG_5800.JPG

Photo of one I used to have:

MG_5800.JPG

That's what I expected. Mine has the aperture scale rotated about 90 degrees from the distance scale.
I have had a few FSU collapsible 50s and I think I recall that those could lock in 3 different places. But one of those was lined up to the distance scale. This Summar only locks into one position.

Rob

Inbound to me is a "new" Leica--came across a IIIA with a Summar for a decent price.
I figure it will be here early next week. :)

Hopefully it will be as good as described! And, I have a contemporary camera to use my '37 9cm Elmar on.

Photo are from the seller, will post my own when I get the camera

Rob

Good luck with your Leica IIIa. Pay special attention to 1/500 and 1/1000. Leica IIIa lacks the eccentric studs (available on IIIc and later) for the two fast speeds. So the two speeds may not be very accurate if you check with a electric tester. By accurate I mean within 1/3 stop. If the exposure is even across the frame, you may not even notice the inaccuracy on negative film. For example, if the 1/500 is actually 1/300, you will hardly notice the issue unless you compare the negative with another negative exposed on a modern film camera (e.g. EOS bodies). But negatives are pretty tolerant and the only real concern is slide film.

Checked mine, matches Ko.Fe's. Both in line, off to left from above (1 o'clock from the front).

I have an FSU lens with the aperture markings directly under the lens - not very usable but OTOH very cheap to buy.

And as for the case and tripod thread - 3/8 is standard for continental European cameras - including the FSU cameras. In Leicas this tends to indicate the original sale market. Adapters are cheap online - I have a few which migrate as needed to different cameras.

When extended and "locked", where should the aperture scale be? I would have expected it to be seen looking down from the top of the camera--ie, at the 12 o'clock position.
My lens has the scale at about the 3 o'clock position when looking from the front of the camera--to the left when holding the camera to use it.

Thanks,
Rob

The reason for this is so you can easily see the focusing scale if you are using an accessory in the cold shoe.

Thanks,
Rob
Just did CLA on mine. The rear lens group fixture is held by those 3 tiny screws on the sliding barrel. If you loosen them you can place the front lens fixture/ aperture ring construct anywhere along 360 degrees that you like. (The locking system for the collapsible lens to be held extended is contiguous with the rear lens group fixture.)

Back