Leica LTM Leica Screw Mount Conversions - Show Yours

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
David, I would understand. Unemployed (think unemployable) when I left college I lay on my sister in law's sofa reading science fiction and eating Allsorts for weeks.

After a while it was explained to me that you had to go and ask people for jobs. Since it was the late '60s employment soon followed.

Happy to discuss the relative merits of each variety but I fear this is not the right place!

Back to the camera...

Some clarifications needed:

The 'lavatory bowl' shape is only ever found on IIs and not IIIs? True or false?

The 'kick' in the frame of the viewfinder window continues for much longer on the III.

The 'kick' is replaced on the II by the rectangular frame at the same time that the lavatory bowl goes? True or false?

Remember the II top housing is not the same as the III because the II has no provision for a diopter.

Back to the camera...

Some clarifications needed:

A. The 'lavatory bowl' shape is only ever found on IIs and not IIIs? True or false?
B. The 'kick' in the frame of the viewfinder window continues for much longer on the III.
C. The 'kick' is replaced on the II by the rectangular frame at the same time that the lavatory bowl goes? True or false?

Remember the II top housing is not the same as the III because the II has no provision for a diopter.

A. True, because the long times from the III needed more space around the speed knob.
B. True, I have number 194331 (1936) and it has the kick.
C. I don't know.

Another interesting question: From when "D.R.P." is written right under "Leica" and not right under "Wetzlar" anymore?

My nr. 194331 has it under "Leica", but my nr. 114317 has it under "Wetzlar".

I prefer to have it under "Leica", looks much better.

Erik.

169496 (1935) has it under Wetzlar

28304 has it under Leica but then it is an early conversion to IIIa. (my other cameras are all post war conversions)

Pictures of IIIa s show it under Leica, the IIIa launched in '35 so maybe one could suggest that cameras produced in the second half of '35 and onward have it moved.

I don't know if Leitz was in the habit of introducing new models for the coming year after the summer break, this is certainly a tradition in some countries, for example I have a VW that was built in late 1985 to the new spec for 1986.

I'm wondering if it has a hole in the pressure plate but how do we find out without getting everyone watching ebay excited?

Regards, David

David, I would understand. Unemployed (think unemployable) when I left college I lay on my sister in law's sofa reading science fiction and eating Allsorts for weeks.

After a while it was explained to me that you had to go and ask people for jobs. Since it was the late '60s employment soon followed.

Happy to discuss the relative merits of each variety but I fear this is not the right place!

We could call it a cultural note for non native English speakers like Americans and so on...

Regards, David

Two conversions I have, an early conversion, with top cover screws on the ends, but no viewport on the back.

med_U10724I1591744807.SEQ.0.jpg
med_U10724I1591744808.SEQ.1.jpg
med_U10724I1591744809.SEQ.2.jpg

And a late conversion of an early camera to a IIa sync.

med_U10724I1591744809.SEQ.3.jpg
med_U10724I1591744809.SEQ.4.jpg

This was the second screw mount camera I purchased (the first being a IIIG) and I thought buying this early black camera would put an end to GAS. It did not work.
Joe

I have this thing for old cameras and have been looking for a Leica I from as early as I can find. I have found a Leica II conversion from a Leica I that was made in 1930. The only issue is that the seller can't tell me when the camera was serviced last, and says the shutter curtains are in good condition, but the speeds appear to be off.

How tough is it to service these early Leica I and II cameras? I've service an M2, and done minor work on a IIIf. I also used to service Arriflex motion picture cameras. Are the old Leica's simpler than the modern IIIf's or more complicated.

Thanks for any and all input.

Best,
-Tim

Well maybe because I didn't post this here in the Conversion thread I didn't get any comments when I first posted my two Barnacks!

Anyway thought it would be best to show my Leica II again, this time with a converted Zeiss Sonnar 5cm f2 originally for Contax hacked into a J8 mount ala Brian Sweeney! Brian said my lens is from the first T marked batch!

Inherited Leica, ? I to II Conversion

Inherited Leica, ? I to II Conversion

Good morning, I have 2 inherited Leicas from my dad, his M3 he bought in 1955 seems straightforward, but his purchase from Wolk’s Kamera Exchange in Pittsburgh 3/18/44 (for $158.25!) is not so much...my dad kept every receipt he ever had! Serial # 20134 indicates a 1929 Leica I, but he bought it as a rangefinder with a Hektor 50 mm lens, Serial # 161750 (1933). It would appear to be a pre-war conversion, with universal L39 mount, but shutter speeds 20-500 makes me think it is a Leica II conversion (my dad referenced a C III in his notes). It has been unused in a camera bag pretty much since he bought his M3.

Can anyone help?

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 5