New Mexico New Mexico RFF members?

Phil_F_NM

Camera hacker
Local time
9:14 PM
Any RFFers in the state of New Mexico? I'm east of Albuquerque for a while but can travel outside the Albuquerque metro area for a meet-up.

Phil Forrest

It would be great to meet a few other RFF folks. Perhaps next week we can find a convenient time and place to get together.

Phil Forrest

El Paso?

El Paso?

Does El Paso count? I am four miles from the New Mexico border. Have to travel to ABQ for the nearest camera store.

By the way, I am voting for Gary Johnson.

Whew! El Paso is a long haul! I could meet down in Alamogordo, White Sands or Socorro.
For anyone up north, I could go up to the Colorado state line. And from Gallup in the west to Tucumcari in the east.

Phil Forrest

We live in the east mountain area of Albuquerque. Unfortunately, I will be out of state for the next couple of months.

I can catch up with NM folks perhaps in October.

Sometimes I live in Las Cruces. My parents live there and being an uneducated, unskilled laborer I do too from time to time ;)

Albuquerque is my hometown, but I don't often get out there. I miss the dry climate and the food, can't find green chili in Tokyo...

I'm headquartered in Albuquerque. Would be nice to organize a meetup, perhaps hit Nob Hill or UNM/downtown area if y'all are into street photography.

~Joe

Ok, I think two years is long enough to mull over the idea of a rff meetup in Albuquerque. I'll be at the coffee shop at 109 Harvard Dr. SE in the University District at 9:00am on Saturday the 7th of June, 2014. There is outdoor and indoor seating and free parking for your motorcycle. I'll wear a funky old camera as an identifying badge.

I'd also be interested in seeing links to any local web sites or blogs.

- Mike Connealy

Last edited:
Well, I'll be a little surprised if I don't have coffee alone Saturday morning. Nothing surprising or novel about that, but I would be interested in sharing some thoughts with other photographers in the area doing traditional film photography. There have been a lot of big changes in the local photography scene since I moved to Albuquerque in 2008.

As far as I know, the only place left in Albuquerque still processing film on site is Picture Perfect at Menaul and Juan Tabo. All of the other one-hour places shut down their Fuji machines several months ago.

There are still a couple retail camera stores in town with collections of old cameras for sale as well as some increasingly limited choices in film-related supplies. I was pleased this morning to be able to buy a couple bottles of TMAX developer at the Camera and Darkroom store on Washington St. The clerk said she is not having any problem getting TMAX and the price was not jacked up.

I didn't find any TMAX at the camera store on Central in the University district last time I went there. The owners and staff there act like they would like the whole film thing to just go away. I think they are fooling themselves to believe that there is any real market for a local retail business with a focus on digital, however.

There is a large and active group of people in Albuquerque doing digital and posting pictures on Flickr in the Albuquerque and DukeCityFix groups. There is some good digital being shown there, but also a lot of garish, horrible HDR stuff. I just can't get myself to put any of my images into that pool.

Back