Nikkor-S 55mm f/1.2 Experiences?

jrose125

Established
Local time
8:25 PM
Hey Folks!

I have the opportunity to buy a Nikkor-S 55mm f/1.2 locally for an incredible price. The lens is 9/10 condition with only slight wear on the barrel (glass is immaculate) and the gentleman is selling it for less than half the price of what one in similar condition goes for.

The only thing that's stopping me from buying it immediately is the fact that I've never really heard much of this lens before and I can get a 50mm f/1.4 Ai for around the same price.

Does anybody have experience with this lense? Is it worth the buy over the 50mm f/1.4?

Thanks in advance!

I use this lens with an F or F2. Only thing to watch out for is lens flare so make sure to use a hood.
Shots below taken with Nikkor S 55 1.2 and Nikon F

I'm not sure what an incredible price is, but I paid between $200 and $220 for the two I have. Which seemed good at the time. I would get it over the 1.4, I gave the 1.4 to my nephew when I gifted him a Nikkormat as it just didn't seem special to me.
Maybe incredible was a bit too ambitious of a word, but the gentleman is selling it for $200 CAD, which works out to about $150 USD. I thought it was a great price considering ones in similar condition are going for $300 USD or higher on Fleabay.

If the glass is clean then, yes, I think that's incredible.
I was a bit skeptical until I viewed it in person but yeah, it really is spotless. No scratches, haze, fungus, or other blemishes. The only issue cosmetically (it really isn't an issue at all) is very minimal wear on the barrel from it being used.

It even comes with the (what I presume to be) original Nippon Kogaku front and rear lens caps.

How does the Nikkor-S 55mm f/1.2 compare to the current Nikkor 50mm f1.2 AIS lens, optically? Do they have similar optical characteristics?

Best,
-Tim

Mind you, I'd rather have the 58/1.4 than any of them... I had the original; I've not tried the remake.

Cheers,

R.

58 1.4? Do u mean the 58 1.2?

There are plenty out there, but the going rate is about $3000, vs $150 that the OP is looking at.

The current 58 1.4 is all about rendering, but since it no longer has an aperture dial it would be of limited use to someone using a Nikon F like the OP.

How does the Nikkor-S 55mm f/1.2 compare to the current Nikkor 50mm f1.2 AIS lens, optically? Do they have similar optical characteristics?

Best,
-Tim
Dear Tim,

Not really. The 50mm is technically better in just about every way, though you may prefer the "character" of the older lens. As I did with the 58/1.4 Nikkor-S, in production (as far as I know) only from 1959 or possibly 1960 to 1962.

Cheers,

R.

The 55/1.2 is a character lens if there ever was one. Nowadays, quite a rare design for a fast normal, a rear extended Planar (where the typical more modern 50/1.2 - Zuiko, Nikkor, etc., all have two more air/glass interfaces).

Nikkor5512-measured.jpg

My copy is slightly yellow.

Scan-130520-0015.jpg

Nikkor-5512-B.jpg
Nikkor-5512-A.jpg

Roland.

58 1.4? Do u mean the 58 1.2?

There are plenty out there, but the going rate is about $3000, vs $150 that the OP is looking at.

The current 58 1.4 is all about rendering, but since it no longer has an aperture dial it would be of limited use to someone using a Nikon F like the OP.
Look up the original 5.8cm 1.4 - I believe that's what Ruger is talking about

Totally understandable. Mirror slap on these old beauties makes in almost impossible to use a speed under ~1/60th.
Mirror slap! You are kidding right? have you actually done a test?
strangely at certain speeds on a modern Leica there was a shake caused by shutter mmm?
Even my Fat Albert Pentax 6x7 was OK even without mirror lock.:D

Back