Olympus time capsule.

Worth every penny, and all the emotional highs and lows of it acquisition. I'll bet even your wife will (grudgingly) admit you did well! At least, I hope so...
Now, the important question: Will you remove or retain the JCII sticker? I've always hated those things, but others seem to feel they give the camera an additional retro aura. This question will no doubt start a fiercely impassioned debate amongst the collectors here. I'm always happy to stir up a little trouble!
I would buy a ballcap or t-shirt with a copy of the JCII sticker!

I would not remove the JCII sticker. The camera is usually ligther beneath that sticker (it is like your skin on your wrist beneath a watch).

A five hour round trip today to pick up an Olympus OM-1 and I was flabbergasted when I picked it up. The person selling it was doing so on behalf of its 92 year old owner. I must point out that I have been buying, using cameras since the mid 1970s and I have not come across a camera in such good condition for its age Its mint with no signs of use what soever, as are the accessaries that came with it including hoods, filters olympus paperwork, 28/3.5, gadget case and lens case. I feel like I have hit the jackpot and all for just £120. They even through in 8 rolls of film. Needless to say I am very happy.
lxmike, I'm thrilled that the deal worked out and you're as happy with the whole adventure as you are...I was bummed when the seller backed out due to the mirror mishap...Congratulations now go use it...

lxmike, I'm thrilled that the deal worked out and you're as happy with the whole adventure as you are...I was bummed when the seller backed out due to the mirror mishap...Congratulations now go use it...
I plan to this weekend, heading out with the Om-1 and an XA4 for company

Check for lazy aperture blades on the 28. If they are, you only need to remove the mount and put it in a solvent. It is usually oil that migrated on the levers housed inside the mount.

Wait, I thought it was inoperable. Glad it’s otherwise. You are still likely to have to change the light seals
The person selling the camera on behalf of its original owner had mistakingly turned the mirror lock dial by mistake, but on inspection it is fully working, I do not know how the previous owner managed it but its in mint condition , fully working and the seals are all good, (as in not degraded or sticky, (plan to run a film through this weekend, if the seals are not light tight I will replace them).

I would not remove the JCII sticker. The camera is usually ligther beneath that sticker (it is like your skin on your wrist beneath a watch).
My results were different from yours. I have removed 6 or 8 and there was no difference so I will continue. But you won't know until you remove it. I guess it depends on how much you dislike the sticker. And I really dislike them on my cameras.

I also was lucky to receive an Olympus time capsule last week, a Pen F complete with two lenses, all the original close up gear, manuals, light meter, magnifier, etc, for a low price. All in pristine condition, almost untouched. The reason it's untouched is probably that the rotary shutter is jammed half open, looks like it's been that way since 1965.

In any case the 38mm 1.8 and 50-90 3.5 lenses are superb, as are all the accessories. The only other complaint is that the shop I bought the set from sent everything unwrapped, in its large old leather camera bag, and the Pen F body got a scratch as a result. Needless to say I wasn't amused, as I'd asked then to wrap the body carefully.

20230702_173034.jpg20230702_173315.jpg20230702_173342.jpg

That's a great find. (y):)

About ten years ago I bought a kit from a friend that had belonged to his brother: An immaculate black OM2N with a really impressive range of lenses from 24mm to 300mm and quite a few other bits and pieces. That 300mm was a great lens and they are reasonably hard to track down apparently. Not really being into tele Ienses though I decided to sell the 300 on eBay and amazingly (to me) I got more thanI had paid for the whole kit. The camera has an interesting history because his brother was killed in a freak accident in a Tiger Moth while doing a wing walking stunt at an air show with his wife who also died in the crash ... she was on the wing at the time. I can't look at that camera without thinking about that accident ... apparently the engine cut out shortly after take off and the plane spiraled straight into the ground killing them both instantly in front of a fairly large crowd! :oops:

I also was lucky to receive an Olympus time capsule last week, a Pen F complete with two lenses, all the original close up gear, manuals, light meter, magnifier, etc, for a low price. All in pristine condition, almost untouched. The reason it's untouched is probably that the rotary shutter is jammed half open, looks like it's been that way since 1965.

In any case the 38mm 1.8 and 50-90 3.5 lenses are superb, as are all the accessories. The only other complaint is that the shop I bought the set from sent everything unwrapped, in its large old leather camera bag, and the Pen F body got a scratch as a result. Needless to say I wasn't amused, as I'd asked then to wrap the body carefully.

View attachment 4823456View attachment 4823457View attachment 4823458
Now thats a fantastic find, very well done.

Back