Pentax Monochrome

vitaly66

slightly tilted
Local time
1:09 AM
Hoping to open a new thread here for sharing images and conversation about dedicated Pentax Monochrome cameras.

Currently this refers to the Pentax K-3iii Monochrome, as well as any other after-market sensor conversions that may be out there, or are being considered.

The Pentax Monochrome is a fairly unique device in the realm of digital photography. And I believe it's characteristics -- in the way of tonal rendering and image qualities -- are particularly well-suited to the aesthetic sensibilities of many other RFF members here.

Thank you for sharing!

I think a lot about this camera... it's a DSLR, and monochrome. But when I have seen the picture made from it (in pentax web site) I don't see what I expected. It will be very interesting to look at this thread. Thank you!

I think a lot about this camera... it's a DSLR, and monochrome. But when I have seen the picture made from it (in pentax web site) I don't see what I expected. It will be very interesting to look at this thread. Thank you!

I've admired your images a lot and think this camera would be right up your street.

Very cool shot! How much processing did you do to get this image looking the way it does? Reminds me of Ricoh's high contrast B&W look for the GR.
Started by *underexposing* the in-camera metering by 2/3 to 1 stop, to not over-clip highlights. Imported the raw (dng) file into the gimp through rawtherapee. Adjusted progressively using exposure, levels, and curves, until the image matched my original impression. Added a skinch of split-toning for depth.

The Monochrome files have incredible amounts of shadow detail. Digital guys already know. Coming from film, though, this is a huge adjustment for me.

Using an ISO of 20000 here. At 100% the image has a rather lovely crystalline noise/grain structure. At the magnification shown here, that noise is not especially evident, though possibly lends a bit of "tooth" and texture to the image.

Very cool that you have the Ricoh! One can surely get images out of the Pentax Monochrome that are comparable, though may require additional post work than what the Ricoh offers straight out of the camera.

You might try that with the Highlight Weighted Metering mode which should prevent clipping in the highlights.
I use highlight weighted metering exclusively on the Ricoh GRIIIx. You can probably set it a little over, maybe start with +.3 or +.7, and then shoot away knowing the meter is protecting the highlights.

Can you share your experience using manual lenses? How is the viewfinder? Is it easy to manual focus? Thanks in advance!

Thanks, Vitaly. I don’t own one but will follow with interest. I’ve had two used Monochroms but doubt I’ll fork over that much again. The Pentax seems a good option. Really hoping for a GR IIIm.

John

Last edited:
Really hoping for a GR IIIm.
Lots of us are, but it’s very unlikely to happen. The Sony STARVIS IMX571BQR-J sensor in the regular/colour K-3iii was already offered in a monochrome version, the STARVIS IMX571BLR-J, so it was relatively simple for Pentax to make the K-3iii Monochrome. There is no pre-existing monochrome version of the sensor in the GRIII or the K-1 sensor, so whatever we want, we probably won’t get a monochrome version of those cameras.

Marty

Can you share your experience using manual lenses? How is the viewfinder? Is it easy to manual focus? Thanks in advance!
I prefer using manual lenses, such as the older K and M series Pentax prime lenses, mostly as a personal quirk. The optical viewfinder is excellent, bright, clear, full field of view. In use the camera reminds me a lot of a Nikon F3 I carried for many years in the 80s and 90s, only better, very enjoyable. However, the viewfinder does not have any optical focusing aids for manual lenses. For me, the clarity of the viewfinder is usually sufficient for obtaining sharp focus visually. There are also electronic focusing indicators in the optical viewfinder display, both visual and auditory. Perhaps there are third-party focus screens that are better for manual focus. While I have not looked into that yet, at present I don't feel the need to. Hope that helps!

Responding to some of the comments about metering and EV adjustment. Yes, I have always used highlight weighted metering.

This camera has a very sensitive sensor. Possibly as a consequence of the bayer color array being removed. It has substantial exposure latitude especially in the shadows.

As a user on another forum suggested, in terms of the classic zone system, it may be better to place middle grey at zone iv during exposure, rather than zone v. This will provide additional highlight range in the upper zones during "development", while still retaining all the shadow detail you could ever ask for in the lower zones.

I prefer using manual lenses, such as the older K and M series Pentax prime lenses, mostly as a personal quirk. The optical viewfinder is excellent, bright, clear, full field of view. In use the camera reminds me a lot of a Nikon F3 I carried for many years in the 80s and 90s, only better, very enjoyable. However, the viewfinder does not have any optical focusing aids for manual lenses. For me, the clarity of the viewfinder is usually sufficient for obtaining sharp focus visually. There are also electronic focusing indicators in the optical viewfinder display, both visual and auditory. Perhaps there are third-party focus screens that are better for manual focus. While I have not looked into that yet, at present I don't feel the need to. Hope that helps!
You will get it! Finally I will finish buying this camera... (A small smile)

Back