Pretty cameras

The Wirgin Edixa Reflex is my prettiest SLR.

42067000342_ce029e0157_c.jpg

Rangefinder? Kodak Retina IIa

19787515555_b6582e6708_c.jpg

TLR is an easy choice.

40501973702_6a6a9c373b_c.jpg

Lovely Rolleicord, never seen that one before. Not sure what the finish to the silver and black would have looked like when new, but likely not for owners suffering from the compulsion to put black tape over different bits in order to be stealthy.
Really lovely style here.

I think the quite rare Voigtlander Vito III fits the description perfectly.
See my "avatar".
It is a classic German 1950's camera,superb build quality, wonderful 'Ultron' f2 six element lens in Synchro-Compur shutter, and
very pocketable. Its a beautiful and pretty camera in my opinion.

The lists will be endless. Very much horses for courses. Never mind, here goes.

My Contax G1s (I have four) are surely the most elegant cameras I own and get the most attention. A superb ergonomic design. When they are working properly, they also (almost) always deliver the images I want. What my camera repair man in Singapore thinks of them, however, is unprintable. Steven says he would rather dismantle an old Graflex with tweezers and a jeweller's screwdriver than work on a Contax G. Huh.

My Rolleiflexes and Rolleicord aren't what I would call handsome, but also superb beasts, but the results they produce speak for themselves.If I could have only one camera to play with for the rest of my life, it would be one of my Rollei Ts with and a 16 exposure kit and a Rollei prism (which has been a salvation to my fading eyesight).

Nikons whether DSLRs or film SLRs look good, but are all of a 'unisex' (lovely old 1960s term, this) design. Modern camera designers seem to have adopted a one size fits all attitude and most DSLRs/SLRs all look the same, to the point that one has to look twice at them to spot the brand name. From a distance, they are all clones.

Indeed the only digital camera I've ever had comments about in the field, was a Canon G10. I tried and tried to work with it but I hated the thing and sold it to a friend who soon felt the same and also offloaded it, to a film school student who for all I know may still have it. A friend in Indonesia shoots with an older Canon G9 which has much the same design, but he gets superb results. Go figure. To me, a cute design, too bad about the technics.

Old 120 folding cameras are charmers in looks if at times frustrating in their limited functionality, but in most everyday situations, also produce okay results. My 1950 Zeiss Nettar with its albada finder attracts many glances and comments, but most people wonder more about the Gossen or Weston meters I have around my neck.

What most of us will surely agree on, however, is the classic of classics in the looks department has to be a Leica, whether a Barnack or M model. Again, I've had both (IIIg, M2, M3) and tried and tried, but they just didn't work for me.

My best shooter by far, and also not a bad looker (tho my earlier comment about Nikons in general, also applies here), is a Nikkormat FT2.

In so many words as usual, just sayin'...

When I come across a thread like this I am driven, like a moth to a light, to mention the Konica Pop. It speaks for itself.

Having said that I agree with Toyoca regarding the Canonet and draw attention to Canon styling in the cine world.

I wonder...would it be true to say that much greater resources are spent on styling when the end product is high volume, low price?

In the motoring world it is the small cars that come over as being 'clever' and the big ones that are, well, just big.

Prettiest cameras? Subjectively, my all time favorites would be the Leica M3, Pentax Spotmatic and Rolleiflex TLR (all models). I've never owned any of them.

Among the Werras, only the Werramat has been mentioned. For almost totally uncluttered design, the Werra 1 takes the prize. Choose green or black.

Among the Alpas, the Standard, the Prisma and the 9f may perhaps appeal more to those who regard the Alneas and the 10-11 series as lumpy.

p.

Among the Werras, only the Werramat has been mentioned. For almost totally uncluttered design, the Werra 1 takes the prize. Choose green or black.

Among the Alpas, the Standard, the Prisma and the 9f may perhaps appeal more to those who regard the Alneas and the 10-11 series as lumpy.

p.
The 12-series have a sort of early-Range-Roverish charm to them too. Admittedly at Range-Roverish prices.

Cheers,

R.

Back