Avenon, Komura, Kobalux LTM Pretty impressed with the Kobalux 28mm

Avenon, Komura, Kobalux lenses

taemo

eat sleep shoot
Local time
4:11 AM
Been meaning to post my comments regarding the Kobalux/Avenon 28mm for a while but didnt have much time shooting with it until today, after bringing it on a quick Xmas trip in San Francisco and then the Canadian mountains this morning.
Originally I was set on buying a Voigtlander 28mm 3.5 LTM however I snagged an Avenon before I could find a Voigtlander.
It's going to be my go to wide-angle lens until I finally decide on upgrading to a Leica 28mm Elmarit.

Have used it on both the M3 and M240 and pretty happy with the IQ that it can produce on both film and digital, only downside is it vignettes pretty bad until you step it down to f/11 which I don't mind for landscape.
Also for some, they might not like the minimum 1m focusing.

Some pictures taken with the M3 and Neopan 400
M3 + Avenon 28mm by Earl Dieta, on Flickr
M3 + Avenon 28mm by Earl Dieta, on Flickr

and M240
M240 + Kobalux 28mm by Earl Dieta, on Flickr
M240 + Avenon 28mm by Earl Dieta, on Flickr

Excellent shots. I own a silver one in LTM that I am testing now on a film camera body. It is really a compact lens and nicely made.

Congrats David, please share your images once you've developed and scanned them. would like to see more shots taken with this lens by others.

Mine is silver too with the giant OVF which I love, it's big that some give me weird looks when shooting with it.

Nice shots, Earl. I love #4. Very nice colors. And I just followed you on Flickr.

I have a question concerning the Avenon / Kobalux f3.5/28mm.
There is an earlier silver version with 6 blades and a later black version with 8 blades of wich some say "MC" ( for multi coated ) on their name ring.
Has anyone experience with both, or what I actually want to find out, is there a difference of performance of those that say "MC" and those that don't?
thank you for any input,
andreas

I had black Avenon MC with old fashion focus tab and six blades.

Stiff focus for me, service was unable to fix it. And not so accurate distance marks. Huge and so-so viewfinder.
I didn't find anything special in this copy and sold it. I think they are now close to Ultron 28 1.9 ASPH LTM, which is superior lens, IMO. And not just by its size. :)

Back