Recent version Summaron M 28 f5.6 focus stiff and noisy suddenly

Richard G

Mentor
Local time
8:27 AM
This little Summaron is glued to m M9-P and it has not had a lot of use the last few weeks. Today I found the focusing very stiff and jerky towards the infinity lock. It has been very hot in Melbourne just today. It is noisy too. It is a brass lens and seems to be built like a tank. It has not been bumped or dropped. I am horrified. It is not useable like this and I am worried I will damage it. Camera Clinic in Melbourne was my go to place but they have shut.

Any ideas what could have happened and where do I go in Melbourne now?

Vic Plant in Melbourne has his mobile number published on that link. He did some work on my M6 years ago and serviced my OM2n. I see that Leica Camera Australia accepts repairs with no promise on turnaround, with an address, email and phone number in Port Melbourne. They are back at work 3-Jan-23. I think I will send the lens there. It may be under warranty. Not sure.

GOOD NEWS. Camera Clinic which had closed down due to COVID-19 early in 2022, now operates under its sister business, Imaging by Design, same place, Easey Street Collingwood, and will still repair Leica gear.

http://imagingbydesign.com.au

i learnt this today when I went to buy film in Fitzroy at Vanbar. This will be very good news for Melburnians and other Australians.

Meanwhile I credit my first roll of Fuji Velvia with my improvement in photography in January 2009: the roll bought for AUD $36. Today I bought another roll of 36 for $31.

And the Jacaranda shots I lost yesterday were recovered late last night with Stellar image recovery software.

So I can't complain too much right now.

I’d bumped the focus lever going through a door presumably. Distorted the mount. Repaired at reasonable cost without a new part.

Back